Sandia National Laboratories R&D Geosciences Engineer (Early Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Geosciences Engineer
The Geophysical Monitoring System (GMS) project is a large-scale development effort to re-engineer the primary system used by the US National Data Center (US NDC) for the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC). Sandia has already worked with AFTAC to develop requirements, specifications and an architectural design for the new system. We are now seeking outstanding R&D Geophysics professionals who want to be part of the vibrant, high-performing team that is developing the next generation system using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
The GMS team is predominantly computer scientists (software developers, system engineers, etc.), but because the project is based on complex applied geophysics, deep subject matter expertise in geophysics is required at the system level to ensure the GMS will be able to meet the operational monitoring mission. The successful candidate will be a member of the GMS geophysics SME team, which is an integral part of the overall GMS development team. The geophysics SME team is responsible for preparing the computer-science-based developers to correctly implement geophysical algorithms they will be coding, including defining test procedures, metrics, and data sets; working with the developers as they code the algorithms; and for validating the scientific integrity of the resultant software both at a unit level and as part of the overall integrated system. The range of geophysics concepts involved in treaty monitoring is very broad, so this is an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to extend both the range and the depth of their existing geophysical domain expertise.
- Requires a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in relevant STEM discipline. The requirement for a STEM Master’s degree can be waived for candidates with a bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline and engineering or scientific experience or Ph.D. in Geophysics, or closely-related discipline
- Willingness and ability to be granted and maintain a DOE Q-level clearance
- Willingness and ability to be granted and maintain an SCI-level clearance
- Familiarity with ground-based nuclear detonation detection monitoring or equivalent operational earthquake monitoring experience
- Demonstrated research experience in seismology- and infrasound-based signal enhancement (filtering, beaming, etc.), signal detection, signal association (event building), event location, magnitude estimation, event discrimination, waveform correlation.
- Knowledge of various seismic and infrasound data formats and respective analysis methodologies
- Demonstrated proficiency in a Unix environment and Unix shell scripting
- Demonstrated proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, MATLAB, Linux, SAC, GMT, SQL
- Experience working in interdisciplinary teams
- Strong organizational, written, oral, and presentation skills, including the ability effectively communicate scientific/engineering concepts and results at multiple levels (highly technical to high-level/programmatic)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both individually and on teams
- Demonstrated ability deliver high-quality results on-time and on-schedule under challenging circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to help customers define requirements and technical path forward
- Demonstrated experience defining and executing research and development efforts, from the proposal writing stage to delivery and dissemination of results
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change
- Familiarity with developing operational realtime monitoring software
- Active DOE Q-clearance
The Dynamic Monitoring Software Department (6363) performs research and development on multi-phenomenological waveform monitoring problems to deliver innovative and practical software applications and solutions. We develop operational monitoring software in support of the US and International nuclear monitoring and non-proliferation mission. Our work ranges from basic research and development to fully deployed operational data processing and analysis systems. We specialize in software architecture and development, geophysics, seismology/infrasound, machine learning, big data analytics, algorithm development and data analysis. We strive to think outside the box in our development efforts to advance the state of the art in support of the monitoring mission.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT