Sandia National Laboratories R&D Engineer-Advanced Photonic & RF MEMS Technologies (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an experienced scientist/engineer to help lead research and development toward advanced Photonic and RF MEMS technologies, including the interaction of photons and phonons, piezoelectrically actuated photonics, advanced RF acoustics, and photonic-integrated MEMS inertial sensing. We will consider all applicants with relevant experience, especially those with degrees in physics or electrical engineering. Relevant experience may include the design, modeling, characterization, fabrication, and/or integration of chip-scale photonic or RF acoustic devices.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Apply existing knowledge and gain new knowledge toward photonic and/or RF acoustic MEMS technologies.
- Work in a team environment and contribute their knowledge to the team.
- Interact with other scientists and engineers to solve technical problems.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Eagerness to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
The successful candidate will join a team of scientists, engineers, postdocs, and graduate students, and, once familiar with the research goals and approach, will lead day-to-day technical activities. The candidate will become responsible for securing funding, for writing and presenting proposals, for communicating with program sponsors, for publishing results, and for innovation. Travel to conferences and project meetings will be required.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in STEM and an advanced degree (Master’s or PhD.) in an electrical engineering, science, or physics discipline plus five or more years experience;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance.
- A Ph.D. in physics or electrical engineering, or a related science or engineering (STEM) discipline.
- Chip-scale photonics.
- Piezoelectric microsystems.
- Microfabrication and integration.
- Multiphysics finite element analysis tools.
- Demonstrated leadership potential.
- Technical background and eagerness to learn new tools/techniques and to share knowledge with the team.
- Adaptability to changing tasks and projects as needed.
- Problem-solving skills to develop creative technical solutions.
You will be part of the MEMS Technology Department (http://mems.sandia.gov/). We conduct research and development for advanced micro-electromechanical systems that push the technology envelope for national security applications.Our broad R&D portfolio includes traditional MEMS sensors and actuators (e.g., inertial sensors and switches), piezoelectric devices (e.g., ultrasonic transducers), RF/acoustic devices (e.g., RF filters), opto/acoustic devices (e.g., optical modulators), magnetic and photovoltaic devices, and emerging technologies. We also develop and maintain a comprehensive set of MEMS fabrication processes in Sandia's MESA Silicon and Micro Fabs, where we build MEMS with traditional bulk and surface micromachining, piezoelectric films, damascene and electrodeposited metals, through substrate vias, wafer bonding, and other semiconductor fab processes. MEMS is an interdisciplinary field. So our team includes a great diversity of technical backgrounds, including electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry, physics, nuclear engineering, and even civil engineering. We highly value technical competence and entrepreneurial spirit. We welcome diversity of all kinds and strive for an inclusive environment.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT