Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electromagnetic Plasma Scientist (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a scientist to join a team conducting research in electromagnetic plasma phenomena. This position offers the opportunity to support system qualification and experiments performed on Z, NIF, HERMES and other high energy density simulators. Areas of interest include high-voltage breakdown, pulsed power applications, and systems effects in ionizing-radiation environments.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct research related to the understanding of plasmas generated on Z, NIF, HERMES and other high-energy-density simulators
- Utilize advanced understanding of gas/plasma chemistry, electromagnetics, electrical discharge, plasma-surface interaction and radiation transport to design experiments and diagnostics to improve the validation of simulations
- Develop state-of-the-art plasma codes to run on flagship (Trinity, Sierra, El Capitan, and others) computer platforms
- Develop novel algorithms for efficient electromagnetic plasma simulations for multi-physics simulations including, but not limited to, neutral gas/plasma chemistry, modeling plasma-facing surfaces with energy densities that cause desorption of neutral to higher energy densities, surface vaporization, and interactions with ionization radiation
- Perform experimental or simulated data analysis, pre- or post-processing, and visualization
- Report on research results via publications and conference presentations
- Team with other developers, analysts, and experimentalists
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, physics or closely-related discipline
- PhD in electrical engineering, physics or closely-related discipline
- Experience with or education related to modeling, simulation, and analysis of electromagnetic-plasma phenomena
- Publications or presentations demonstrating experience with developing or using numerical simulations to better understand plasma phenomena
- Experience in data analysis and post-processing
Experience with one or more of the following:
- electrical discharge
- plasma surface interaction
- radiation transport
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Experience in theoretical analysis and computational simulation using commercial or customized software
- Willingness to develop expertise in different areas of electromagnetics
- Strong mathematical and simulation background with demonstrated knowledge and experience in electromagnetic-plasma analysis
- Experience with High Performance Computing architectures and execution
- Experience programming in scripting (shell, Python, etc.) and C++
- Demonstrated ability to work with others and contribute to a team effort
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to be flexible in job assignments
The Electromagnetic Theory department (1352) is engaged in development of advanced theory, modeling, simulation and analysis techniques for use across a broad spectrum of electromagnetic and plasma-physics environments. Capabilities developed in the Electromagnetic Theory department support long-term research in electromagnetics, plasma physics, and pulsed-power sciences, and also enable the near-term delivery of toolsets and high-fidelity analysis that can be used for addressing the wide array of SNL mission needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT