Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical/Computer Engineer, Embedded Systems Software Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a motivated Embedded Software Engineer to join a multidisciplinary team that is designing, developing and sustaining advanced State of the Art Inertial and Avionics Systems for National Defense Programs. The successful candidate will be developing embedded software to support our avionics hardware used on flight programs. You will get to design software architectures, design and develop embedded software, support software system integration, and test of flight system avionics in support of prototype development flight testing.
The successful candidate will be part of a software team that works shoulder to shoulder with the electrical hardware engineers to develop and test various avionics components. The candidate will also collaborate with experts in their respective fields of GPS, Inertial Sensors/Systems, SAR, Flight Systems, Battery Systems, Guidance Navigation Pointing & Control, and deliver state of the art inertial and avionics systems.
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Controls Engineering, Computer Science, or STEM relevant field, plus 1 year of experience
- Experience in one or more of the following application areas: navigation, controls, signal processing theory, or Kalman filtering
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q-Level security clearance
- Laboratory experience with the analysis and troubleshooting of digital hardware systems involving microprocessors, microcontrollers, or FPGA (SOCs) like elements and digital interfaces
- Academic or practical experience with various serial communication interfaces such as Ethernet, SPI, I2C, SDLC, CAN, or Serial RS422 communications hardware and software applications
Experience with the following:
Embedded operating systems experience using a high-level languaage such as C or C++
- Greenhills INTEGRITY®, Windriver VxWorks, Embedded Linux, or any other real time operating system
- Mathworks Simulink
- Working knowledge of Version control (Git, Subversion, TeamForge), code review (Gerrit), and continuous integration (Jenkins) tools or willingness to use these tools
- Python Programming language for script automation
- Developing register level device drivers in C, assembly, or C++
- Knowledge of linker command files and cross compilers that target embedded processor hardware
- Strong interpersonal skills
The Inertial Systems and Avionics (5325) develops and delivers innovative computing solutions for Navigation Systems, Specialized Radars & Missile systems. Our department specializes in reconfigurable digital signal processing systems utilizing leading edge FPGA technology, general purpose microprocessors, and high-speed serial communication devices. Our Inertial Systems interface with various Navigation technologies such as Inertial Measurement Units, Gyroscopes, Accelerometers, and GPS receivers.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.