Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical Engineer-Mobile Guardian Transporter (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Mobile Guardian Transporter (MGT) program is in the Final Design Phase and early Qualification Phase, and we are seeking highly motivated team members. An opportunity exists for an Electrical Engineer to join the Qualification Team (Department 6652) to support System-level and subsystem-level assembly, test and qualification efforts. The successful candidate will support the qualification effort to include planning and testing (both subsystem and system level) for two MGT prototypes, and an MGT pre-production unit. This position provides the opportunity to play a key role in the development of critical national security assets.
The selected individual will have opportunities and responsibilities such as the following:
- Work in an exciting, dynamic and fast-paced environment where you can make a visible impact on the national security posture of the United States.
- Participate in planning and execution of Prototype 2 and PPU full-scale system build activities.
- Support planning/execution of system-level qualification test activities, including functional testing and normal, abnormal and hostile environments (including two full-scale sled track tests).
- Collaborate with electronics subsystems teams as qualification liaison, supporting functional and environmental qualification/test activities, to include coordination with on-site and off-site test facilities to coordinate and execute environmental testing.
- Be responsible for generating and documenting qualification artifacts in support of eventual full system qualification products.
- Support system-level/subsystem-level qualification plan development and execution.
- BS and MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other relevant field, or equivalent experience (BS + 4 years)
- Two years of experience on large-scale product development effort involving some aspects of qualification and verification activities, including test development/execution
- Demonstrated proficiency in applying engineering principles and tools
- Can obtain a DOE Q clearance
- This position will have occasional travel
- Experience leading multidisciplinary engineering teams
- Experience developing and executing electrical/functional test plans
- Experience developing and/or using various data acquisition systems (ex. mechanical sensing during environmental test) and associated data analysis
- Understanding of electrical engineering principles to include data acquisition/signal measurement/sampling techniques/sampling theory
- Deep understanding of electronics, including data acquisition, signal measurement, schematics, and circuit design
- Experience testing digital, RF, and/or satellite communications systems
- Experience with LabVIEW software
- A great teammate capable of handling multiple assignments, with strong customer focus and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong teamwork skills combined with an ability to take broad direction and carry out technical activities without detailed guidance or supervision
- Strong problem-solving skills and willingness to learn new skills, technologies, and develop solutions based on project needs
- Active Q Clearance
The MGT Technical Basis Department (06652) is engaged in a focused assembly, integration, test, analysis, and overall qualification effort for MGT programs, the next generation over-the-road secure transportation platform. The department's efforts help ensure the security of our nation's critical strategic assets during transportation. We develop and implement qualification solutions for the MGT program at the System level, and support subsystem qualification and system verification efforts. We are responsible for system-level development test article build and test activities, and we engage in forward-planning in preparation for the transition of build activities to the Production Agency. Our partners for analysis/test/qualification activities include multiple departments in 6600, 1500, and 2000.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.