Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical Engineer-Mobile Guardian Transport (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for nation's security?
We are seeking a mechanical engineer to participate in the system level qualification for the Mobile Guardian Transporter (MGT). The MGT program is well into the baseline design phase and has the broad support of Sandia and the NNSA leadership. The department utilizes an intellectually diverse team oriented, accelerated learning, and performance risk-based approach, to have a positive impact on eventual MGT incorporation into the OST fleet.
On any given day, as a part of a high-performance team, you may:
- Partner with design lead for MGT testers to plan and execute MGT tests
- Coordinate with qualification team technicians to support electronics module or electromechanical part qualification testing
- Support the planning, setup and configuration of testbeds with integrated electronics modules and electromechanical parts
- Support the development of environmental specifications and test plans for qualification
- Support various product/system tester qualification/calibration and surveillance activities
- Support the assembly and testing full scale MGT prototypes
- You have a bachelor's degree in STEM discipline with preference for electrical related disciplines
- You possess proven experience planning and executing tests of electronic hardware and software
- Your background includes knowledge of, and experience with, high consequence product realization activity
- You hold a current DOE Q clearance, or equivalent
- Master’s degree in a STEM discipline, preferably in an electrical related area
- Experience in working with production agencies
- Experience in qualification testing
- ESD training
- Ability to work with many different organizations and individuals across the laboratory
- Ability to meet project timelines consistently
We develop, qualify, and deliver the next generation over-the-road transportation system for United States.
Within the group, the MGT Technical Basis Department (6652) is to execute the qualification of the MGT and support product realization activities that lead to the production and incorporation of MGT into the existing fleet of transporters. New team members are needed to help execute these key activities that include the planning, assembling, and testing of three major MGT test articles for system verification activities. In addition, the department is responsible MGT tester development and model-based simulation/analysis which are an integral part of the test preparations and continuing qualification efforts for safety, security, and surveillance requirements for MGT operations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD) to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.