Sandia National Laboratories RD Electrical Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
You will be responsible for the electrical design of new or upgraded Automated Test Equipment (ATE) and engineering support of existing ATE across the neutron generator enterprise. The ATE fleet consists of S&T, development, and production testers. This job entails three main design roles:
- Design of high voltage & high current pulsed power supplies
- Design of high voltage & high current measurement solutions
- Design of data acquisition systems
Primary Tasks Include:
- Design and simulation of electrical circuits and data acquisition systems.
- Oversight of electrical fabrication.
- Oversee and/or generate electrical drawings and design definition.
- Recommending and implementing best practices concerning electrical design standardization.
- Interfacing with stakeholders, tester system engineer, and other tester design engineers.
- Interfacing with system engineer to ensure requirements can be and are met.
- Validating tester stimulus requirements have a solid technical foundation.
- Providing updates to project lead.
- Design reviews with stakeholders, tester design engineers, and management.
- Developing a deep understanding of neutron generator design and performance.
- Influencing the direction of future test capability.
- Continuous improvement.
- Becoming Green Belt certified within 12 months.
Some travel required.
- Bachelor's and Master's degree in electrical engineering or related science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) discipline plus 2 or more years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related STEM field plus six or more years relevant experience
- Experience with analog circuit design
- Component or system testing related experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
- Demonstrated track record of delivering on-time and to requirements.
- Experience with circuit simulation.
- Desire to continuously improve.
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction, quality, safety, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Deep understanding of automated test equipment.
- Experience with high voltage and high current pulsed power design.
- Experience with high voltage measurements.
- Experience with measuring high currents.
- Deep understanding of transformer design and characterization.
- Experience working collaboratively in team settings.
- Ability to successful interface with an interdisciplinary team.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification.
- Active DOE Q-level security clearance.
This team is responsible for enabling the acquisition of neutron generator performance data. Our vison is to “acquire hi-fidelity test data to enable high consequence decisions.” Our mission is “delivering exemplary test solutions in the national interest.” We define, design, build, and qualify automated test equipment used to support neutron generator S&T, development, production, shelf life, and surveillance testing. Continuously improving tester requirements, tester standardization, test fidelity, tester capability, and delivery times are some of our core values. We also provide on-going engineering support of the existing tester fleet.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT