Sandia National Laboratories R&D Electrical Engineer - Emerging Flight Technologies (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for the security of our nation!
We are seeking experienced electrical engineers to work with Distinguished level staff to model and implement advanced electronics architectures for cutting-edge space missions.
On any given day, the selected candidate may be called on to:
- Model embedded electronics architectures to assess performance associated with specified algorithms
- Collaborate with technical team members on the design of space electronics architectures
- Assist in the development of proposals for funding from both internal and external partners
- Balance cost, schedule, performance, and risk to optimize path forward
- Define spend plans, monitor financial performance, and update the customer and internal management on regular intervals
We want you to join our team!
- Undergraduate and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Electrical Engineering
- Two or more years related experience
- Experience in modeling electronics architectures
- Active DOE Q and can obtain a SCI clearance
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- System level experience mapping performance and ICD requirements to embedded system instances
- Experience in designing digital and/or analog circuitry including sensors in a variety of technologies
- Experience with the modeling and simulation of embedded electronic systems
- Demonstrated ability to bound/estimate and deliver systems and/or components within negotiated cost, schedule, and performance.
- Experience designing space-based electronics system architectures
- Experience with satellites and payloads, and/or aerospace and flight programs
- Ability to work across a wide variety of engineering and science fields to integrate lower level designs and delivered subsystems into a complete system across hardware, software, mechanical, aerospace, and other domains or subject areas.
- Oral and written communication skills typically evidenced and demonstrated through technical publications and presentations. Examples can include academic work products, peer-reviewed conferences and publications, internal/external product and/or system whitepapers and technical briefings, test plans and procedures, etc.
- Proven ability to execute and deliver technical work products with application of appropriate diligence and pedigree documentation (design/code reviews, technical guidance/approvals, project team concurrence, artifact generation, etc)
- Understanding of systems engineering and design quality processes
- Familiarity with hardware and/or software requirements generation for verification, validation and qualification
- Ability to collaborate with commercial or contracted suppliers to acquire hardware, software, or custom components with appropriate procurement diligence
We are responsible for advancing state-of-the-art flight sensing capability in our Nation’s security interests. Efforts include:
- Developing more resilient space electronic architectures. Moving traditional algorithms that were designed to run on high performance ground stations to flight systems.
- Developing novel opto-mechanical systems that reduce jitter, improve optical performance, and improve geolocation.
- Advancing sensor mod/sim beyond just radiometry. Incorporating all aspects of the scene, collection segment, and post-processing to understand overarching architecture performance.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.