Sandia National Laboratories RD Cybersecurity Engineer (Mid-Career) Limited Term Employee in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about research dedicated to keeping systems safe and thwarting cyber intrusions? Are you dreaming of a chance to develop protective technologies, conduct threat assessments, and analyze government, military, and civilian computer networks? If so, you will want to apply for this opportunity to join Sandia's outstanding multidisciplinary team committed to solving the information security challenges facing our nation. As part of our team, you will engage in work across the technology spectrum including embedded, mobile, desktop, and enterprise systems, as well as globally connected networks of networks.
To support Sandia's national security missions, our cybersecurity scientists and engineers engage in a variety of research areas including:
- Manual and automated reverse engineering, vulnerability assessment, and malware analysis
- Intrusion prevention/detection and response, penetration testing, and forensics
- Network operation, information protection, and resiliency
- Authentication and authorization
- Threat intelligence
- Modeling, simulation, and emulation
- Data science, information theory, and streaming and behavioral analytics
- Hardware/software trust and assurance
- Real-time operating systems (RTOS) and embedded systems, including Internet of Things (IoT)
- Virtualization (system and network) and cloud technologies
- Mobile devices and smart technologies
- Autonomous systems
Industrial control systems and SCADA systems
When applying to this requisition, you may be interviewed and/or hired by one of several cybersecurity-focused organizations.
- Master's degree in related field plus 2 years’ experience; or a Doctorate in a related field; or Bachelor’s in a related field plus 6 years’ experience
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q level clearance
- Degree(s) in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, or Mathematics
- Experience conducting research resulting in creative technical solutions
- Experience in reverse engineering, malware analysis, formal methods, deciphering known and unknown file formats, data structures, and network protocols
- Experience with one or more of the following: network design, implementation, administration, database systems, webservers, application servers, firewalls, network devices, data science/analytics
- Experience in software design and development
- Experience auditing code in C/C++, Java, Python, assembly, or other languages
- Strong analytical skills
- Familiarity with secure-system design principles and information assurance principles
- Well-developed leadership skills with the ability to prioritize and execute in a disciplined and focused manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to explain complex ideas clearly and concisely
- Active DOE Q security clearance
This posting will be used to fulfill multiple positions within the Cyber Security and Mission Computing Center (9300). We partner across the laboratory on a number of exciting initiatives that require gifted Cybersecurity Engineers:
- We develop and maintain enterprise cyber security capability to defend the laboratory from cyber threats
- We conduct cyber security research to strengthen our cyber security capability
- We design and maintain high performance computing capabilities
- We develop custom software to support our Nuclear Deterrents (ND) and Strategic Partnership Projects (SPP)We provide analytics and machine learning expertise for projects across Sandia’s Mission Space
- We foster software security and DevSecOps capabilities
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.