Sandia National Laboratories R&D Controls Engineer-Autonomous Sensing & Flight Systems (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Controls Engineer to join our diverse team in support of the research and development of autonomous sensing and flight systems. You will conceptualize, design, implement, and test controls algorithms for both single and multi-platform autonomous sensing technologies, including object detection, tracking and recognition; navigation and geolocation; and sensor cueing, tasking and scheduling. You will also research and develop algorithms that enable Sandia’s advanced flight systems to autonomously navigate, guide and control themselves. Within a Sense-Think-Act paradigm, you will work with leading authorities in sensors, signal processing, perception, machine intelligence, and control systems within the Group, throughout Sandia’s diverse organizations, and with partners from the US Department of Defense and private industry. You will work as an expert in advanced control systems; and build on your competency in flight dynamics or aerodynamics, sensor systems (e.g. radar/lidar, RF, infrared, optical, inertial, etc), servo-actuators, algorithm development, and programming. We will also benefit from your expertise in one or more of the following: sensor tasking, sensor fusion, signal/image processing, computer vision, artificial intelligence (machine learning and deep learning), pattern recognition, signature matching, or target detection. Occasional travel may be required for this position.
- You have a bachelor’s and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or another related science or engineering discipline; a bachelor’s degree in one of the above disciplines, combined with five years of related professional experience may also be considered
- Your background includes expertise and significant experience with control systems
- You can obtain and maintain a US DOE Q clearance
Ideally, your background should also include:
- Experience with flight control, navigation and guidance, aerodynamics, space flight dynamics, or servo-actuators
- Significant experience in programming languages such as C/C++/C#, MATLAB, Python, Java, IDL, etc
- Experience with aerospace sensors such as radar, LIDAR, EO/IR, FMV, inertial sensors, and imaging modalities
- Experience with image and signal processing
- Experience with artificial intelligence (AI, machine learning and deep learning), and real-time processing algorithms
- Excellent communication and teaming skills
Sandia’s Integrated Military Systems Pathfinder Technologies Group develops cutting-edge capabilities and stewards expertise in autonomous orbital, aerial, and terrestrial systems, including: object detection with sensors and embedded signal/image processing; identification, classification, and contextualization of targets; and control including object tracking, sensor tasking/cueing/scheduling, and navigation and guidance. Sensing modalities of primary interest for these applications include Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR); High Range Resolution (HRR) Radar; Electro-Optical/Infrared (EO/IR, spanning VNIR/SWIR/MWIR/LWIR); LIDAR; Full Motion Video (FMV); and Positioning, Navigation, and Timing (PNT). The signal/image/data processing includes real-time automatic target recognition, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. The Group is building up its expertise in control systems for autonomy. The Group’s near-term goal is to incorporate autonomy into Sandia’s existing multi-domain flying and sensing platforms. The Group works with leading experts throughout Sandia, and with partners from the US Department of Defense and private industry. In addition to delivering cutting-edge systems to the military and intelligence customers, the Group leads the Labs’ Autonomy for Hypersonics (A4H) Mission Campaign.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.