Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science - Software Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you someone who thrives in a team environment, dreams about improving National Security, and is passionate about learning new skills? If so, consider applying for this R&D Computer Science opportunity, where you will be responsible for deploying high-impact and high-consequence national security capabilities supporting surety applications, with an emphasis in embedded real-time systems development.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic team dedicated to developing products with direct impacts on advanced technologies for weapon-related systems. This role will enable you to be part of a team that takes pride in the outstanding quality of their code and the products they produce.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Design, implement, and deploy complex embedded software in direct support of our nation’s nuclear deterrent
- Work independently with little oversight as well as collaboratively on an Agile team with others of diverse and multi-disciplinary skill sets.
- Learn about and implement information assurance concepts key to our nuclear deterrent
- Partner with both hardware, systems, and software engineers
- Fix complicated issues in dynamic environments
- Master's degree in a relevant technical discipline, or equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Strong software engineering skills, including an understanding of the software lifecycle, requirements engineering, verification and validation, configuration and change management.
- Ability to learn and execute the development methodologies and engineering practices being used by the established team and contribute to improving and refining those practices and processes.
- Master's or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other software engineering-related field
- Experience with delivering embedded software
- Experience with software design, development, and delivery using C or C++.
- Experience analyzing and debugging complex systems at both the component and system level.
- Ability to use standard lab equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analyzers.
- An understanding of commonly used data structures and algorithms for software development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Ability to obtain Sigma 15 caveat
The Surety Software Department utilizes current and advanced software approaches, tools, and techniques in developing applications in support of our nation’s nuclear deterrent. Staff in this department develop custom software solutions in support of the DOE/DoD Use Control community and specialize in high assurance software design solutions with emphasis on security and reliability. The department specializes in complex embedded software, application and GUI software, trusted processing, crypto algorithms, and database management. Personnel play a key role in development, maturation, and deployment of advanced technologies for next-generation weapon systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.