Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science-Next Generation Systems (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security?
Then join the NGS team…Next Generation Systems (NGS 6360) has several programs that design, develop and deploy high consequence solutions for National Security challenges. Some of the programs NGS is building are:
- GMS: The United States Geophysical Monitoring System (US GMS) project is a large-scale re-development effort to redesign the US GMS for the Air Force. GMS is a critical element of the US government nuclear test treaty monitoring program. It provides data acquisition, analysis, and reporting to detect and characterize nuclear detonations within the Earth or at low altitudes based on data from networks of ground-based sensors covering three waveform technologies: seismic, infrasonic, and hydro-acoustic.
- IDC: International Data Center is a subset of GMS to support the International community in nuclear test treaty monitoring.
- USNDS: US Nuclear Detonation (NUDET) Detection System is a large-scale program supporting the NUDET community. USNDS includes several critical systems in operations today with future expansion and modernization efforts planned.
- Emergent Systems Portfolio: Various smaller, yet critical applications which process and expose data, models and algorithms utilizing techniques across data sciences, data analytics, machine learning/deep learning, image processing, and big data.
We are seeking dynamic individuals to work on software teams through prototyping, design, development and delivery using agile based processes to include Scrum and the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology for our larger projects. We are looking for someone who has experience on software development projects in one of the following areas:
- Backend Developers to design and implement data processing algorithms, databases, and process controls, utilizing Java, Python, C++, etc.
- DevOps developers to design and implement modern development and platform environments to include CI/CD pipelines, Git, Cucumber, Containers, and Ansible
- Full Stack prototyping developers pathfinding new concepts to solve technology challenges which mitigate risk and provide future solutions for projects
- Modeling and Simulation teams developing the latest in decision tools, high fidelity models utilizing high performance computing, virtual reality and augmented reality concepts
On any given day you may be called on to:
- Work on an Agile team to develop software systems which solve the most challenging remote sensing problems, including the capture, processing, exploitation, visualization and distribution of real-time satellite sensor data.
- Work collaboratively with architects, developers, technical leads, customers, and end users to collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver extensible software applications.
- Contribute to deeply rewarding missions through engagement with diverse computer science specialties and specialists in areas such as data fusion, signal and image processing, analytics, cloud computing, machine learning, modeling and simulation, service-oriented architectures, big data management and visualization, and pattern recognition.
You may be interviewed and hired into one of several departments within NGS (6360).
Your role has exciting growth opportunities and is an integral part of the successful delivery of our systems. Your position will also include a variety of interactions across NGS and the program, including collaboration with partner organizations and partner projects. In this role, there is significant opportunity for leadership development, and you will be given the opportunity to engage in leadership development activities both independently and as part of the larger team.
You may need to travel to support program needs.
- You have a Bachelor’s and advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a computer-based discipline; a bachelor’s in a computer-based STEM discipline plus 4 years directly related experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree
- Your background includes two or more years’ experience, in addition to the education requirements above
- Your skillset includes experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- You have proven experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., Java and Python)
- You can obtain a DOE Q clearance
Ideally, your background should also include:
- Knowledge and experience with implementation of the full software development life cycle using Agile or Iterative methodologies such as Scrum and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- You will need to be self-directed, organized, and be able to work independently as well as in a large team environment
- Experience developing critical data processing and analysis systems
- Demonstrated strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work with various disciplines across multiple development subteams
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to handle multiple tasks and handle competing priorities
- Strong customer-focus and proactive response to questions/requests with demonstrated exceptional follow through
- Current Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance with SCI
The Next Generation Systems (NGS 6360) is a multi-disciplinary organization that takes a system from requirements through design, development, environments, CI pipelines, testing to successful deployment. The team performs research & development of modern technologies and methodologies to ensure the successful delivery on our customer commitments. Our primary mission area is the US and International nuclear monitoring and non-proliferation missions. Our work ranges from prototyping innovative solutions to the deployment and support of operational data processing systems. Our capabilities include system engineering, system architecture, software development, computer platform architectures, development environments, continuous integration, virtualization, system integration & testing, and deployment. We blend art & science to find creative solutions. We strive to think creatively in our development efforts to advance the state of the art in support of the monitoring missions.
NGS Vision is to think past today’s product when we envision and create solutions for the Nation’s most critical underlying threats.
NGS Purpose - Holding the world accountable by providing unparalleled monitoring systems that deliver critical knowledge into the hands of decision makers.
NGS Motto – AUDEAMUS - “Let us Dare!!!”
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.