Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science Engineer (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D, Computer Science Engineer. The selected candidate must have strong analytical skills and the ability to effectively identify and engage in the resolution of complex technical issues. The work environment is fast-paced and dynamic and thus makes effective communication and teaming key elements of success. The selected candidate should have a proven track record of meeting and exceeding customer expectations, successfully teaming cross-organizationally, consistently delivering on schedule, and a demonstrated desire to learn new technologies, concepts, and processes.
On any given day, you may be called on to conduct:
- Research and development of “state-of-the-art” build, integration, and test environments to enable the development of complex, real-time decision support systems that support remote sensing, data acquisition, and analysis applications.
- Configuration management, testing and user support of complex software engineering infrastructures that are utilized by multiple code development teams.
- A Bachelor's and Master’s degree in a STEM discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other relevant field); or STEM Master's degree in a relevant STEM discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other relevant field).
- Software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools.
- Experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., C++, Java, Python).
- Knowledge of and experience with implementation of the full software development life cycle using iterative or agile methods.
- Experience with relevant application and mission domains (ground systems/data centers/operations centers, remote sensing, sensor technologies, proliferation detection, monitoring and surveillance).
- Experience with large, complex scientific and technical software systems engineering, development and deployment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment.
- Experience administering LINUX or UNIX systems.
- Experience with virtualization and cloud technologies.
- Experience with source control management software (e.g. Git, SVN)
- Experience with automated system configuration systems (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, etc.) and Infrastructure as Code principles.
- Experience with continuous integration, delivery and deployment
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment.
Science & Engineering Computing-Environment Services Department, Org 9321, provides advanced capabilities and in-depth support for a broad range of scientific and engineering computing services which include: high performance computing, remote graphics workstations, high performance storage, scientific and engineering applications, web development, software engineering, and continuous integration (compilation and test) environments. The department designs, develops, manages, and provides cutting edge software and tools across multiple platforms used to create complex mission unique capabilities. The department develops and implements new and emergent technologies and capabilities in support of mission and programmatic needs. We partner with other organizations and teams across the Laboratories to deliver user environments, subject matter expert support, and application-level software and tools to support the scientific and engineering communities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.