Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science (Early/Mid Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of exploring solutions within a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Computer Science professional to lead a system team working on the design, implementation and deployment of application infrastructure for Sandia’s Nuclear Deterrence Data Systems Organization. The position is for an experienced, motivated, and customer-oriented individual to provide software engineering support, system analysis, infrastructure architecture, design and implementation of complex data processing systems. Are you passionate about using your analytical skills to identify and engage in the resolution of complex technical issues? Do you dream of engaging with a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team in a high-energy work environment? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Understand technical and functional design requirements and work closely with users to define and develop overall requirements.
- Participate in architecture, design, deployment, configuration management, debug, troubleshooting, testing and user support of complex software engineering infrastructures that are utilized by multiple code development teams.
- Seek opportunities to broaden and deepen your knowledge base and proficiencies, engage in development opportunities, and provide mentorship to less experienced team members.
- Network successfully with a diverse technical population to develop technical growth in support of mission customers.
- Requires bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant discipline plus 5 years relevant experience or master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering plus 1 year experience in a relevant discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have strong software engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools.
- Have a working knowledge of and experience with object-oriented software development (e.g., Python, Java, C++).
- Experienced with Linux operating system internals, processes, file systems, databases, networks , and virtualization.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a required US DOE Q security clearance.
- Knowledge of and experience with implementation of the full software development life cycle using iterative or agile methods.
- Experience with Linux container and cloud technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Openstack).
- Highly skilled at developing and debugging in Python, Java, and C/C++.
- Experience with large, complex software systems engineering, development and deployment.
- Strong working knowledge of modern, continuous development techniques and pipelines (CI/CD, Jenkins, Git, Nexus).
- A thorough understanding of engineering best practices from appropriate testing paradigms to resilient architecture.
- Proven ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form.
- Interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to work effectively in a team environment while pursuing individual tasks in a disciplined manner.
Science & Engineering Computing-Environment Services Department, Org 9321, provides advanced capabilities and in-depth support for a broad range of scientific and engineering computing services which include: high performance computing, remote graphics workstations, high performance storage, scientific and engineering applications, web development, software engineering, and continuous integration (compilation and test) environments. The department designs, develops, manages, and provides cutting edge software and tools across multiple platforms used to create complex mission unique capabilities. The department develops and implements new and emergent technologies and capabilities in support of mission and programmatic needs. We partner with other organizations and teams across the Laboratories to deliver user environments, subject matter expert support, and application-level software and tools to support the scientific and engineering communities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.