Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science - Data Systems Engineering (Entry/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Data Systems Engineering Group is looking for qualified Research and Development Computer Science candidates interested in collaborating within a high performing team on next generation technologies to provide solutions to national security applications. The group engineers and delivers technology solutions across the entire spectrum of mission data. These solutions are implemented in a variety of development languages and span hardware/software interfaces through high-level applications and multi-level systems. You will have opportunities to participate in design, development, testing, and delivery of specialized software in a variety of development environments from waterfall to agile (Scrum). You will also have opportunities to propose and participate in internal research and development efforts.
Some travel may be required
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Computer Science or a related discipline plus a bachelor's degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM); or bachelor's in Computer Science or related discipline with 4 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Software design, development, testing, delivery, and support experience in object oriented languages such as Java, C#, C++.
- Developing web applications, including both back-end and front-end web development experience.
- Ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment; excellent listening and communication skills.
- Experience with Docker containers, Jenkins continuous integration, and continuous delivery approaches to software development and deployment in cloud-based environments.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, CouchDB, Neo4j, or Elasticsearch.
- Ability to utilize debugging tools and test frameworks such as Junit, NgTest, JBehave, or Cucumber.
- Experience using version control systems such as Git, Subversion, Mercurial, or Team Forge.
- Proven social skills and ability to work in a team setting for a common purpose.
- Demonstrated written communication skills.
- Knowledge with cloud technologies.
- Active DOE Q-Level security clearance.
The Weapons Design and Assurance Center (2600) is a multi-discipline, product-focused organization that provides engineering design, components, subsystems, integration, testing, and field support for nuclear weapons and other high-consequence national security applications. Examples of these applications include the development of satellite and other space-flight and airborne payloads, testing for high consequence military programs, nuclear weapon safety mechanisms, high reliability electronic products, telemetry and software systems, and data science and analytics. The Center is divided into four main competencies: Advanced Mechanical Design, Firing & Embedded Systems, Hi-Reliability Electronic Products, and Data Systems Engineering.
The successful applicant will join high performing technical teams in the Data Systems Engineering Group and will handle the design, development, qualification, and delivery of highly specialized hardware and software components and subsystems for national security applications. These systems must be designed to meet demanding performance specifications, offer extremely high reliability, enable integration and interfacing to complex host systems, and meet stringent survivability requirements in adverse environments. Successful candidates, depending on skills match and placement within the Data Systems Engineering Group, will have the opportunity to make meaningful contributions in a wide variety of disciplines including analog and digital design and development, embedded development for real-time systems, data processing and analysis to include image and signal processing applications, network and communications technology, trusted systems design and development, testing/fielding complex hardware and software systems, and exploratory data analytics and applied data science. Candidates will be exposed to a variety of hardware and software development environments and methodologies spanning traditional waterfall development and systems engineering to agile development processes.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national original, disability, or veteran status.