Sandia National Laboratories RD Computer Science - Data Scientist (Entry/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
A R&D Computer Scientist / Data Scientist is needed to, among other job duties, perform focused analysis and/or applied research in machine learning, math and statistics, and data science within our growing Data Analytics and Modeling department. Applications span the national security domain with a primarily focus in the design, production, and surveillance of nuclear weapons systems and components.
On any given day, you may be asked to:
- work with a wide range of customers
- data wrangle a broad range of data types and develop suitable machine learning models
- develop anomaly detection or predictive algorithms
- assist in writing project and/or research proposals
- architect and develop software to support data and analytic techniques
Applicants should be passionate about machine learning as well as keeping up to date with the latest advances in this field. You will have experience working with real world, small datasets containing both unstructured and structured elements and has developed successful predictive models for data that solve problems.
Some travel for business is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline; or equivalent experience and/or achievements.
- Educational focus or experience with research in Machine Learning, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Applied Math, Intelligent Agents, or a related quantitative field
- Experienced in one or more programming languages such as Python, Java, R, etc.
- Work experience or graduate school coursework in one or more of the following: statistical analysis, general machine learning or artificial intelligence, natural language processing, optimization, deep neural networks, reinforcement learning
- Experience with one or more of the following machine learning tools: Tensorflow, Keras, R studio, Scikit-lear
- Bachelor's and Advance degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience with large, complex scientific and technical software systems engineering, development and deployment
- Experience with lean agile software development and associated processes (Scrum, SaFE, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to develop and present ideas and results in oral and written form
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative and interdisciplinary team environment and develop dedicated working relationships
- Adept at simplifying and explaining complex technical concepts and architectures to colleagues and customers
- Experience working with real world, small datasets, unstructured and structured
- Experience in developing and deploying highly scalable machine learning algorithms on distributed clusters
- Experience using version control systems such as Git, Subversion, Mercurial, or Team Forge.
- Oral and written interpersonal skills, typically evidenced and shown through technical publications and presentations. Examples can include academic work products, peer-reviewed conferences and publications, internal and external product and/or system whitepapers and technical briefings, test plans and procedures, etc
2660: The Data Systems Engineering Group uses modern software frameworks and practices to solve large data challenges for the nuclear weapons enterprise and is part of the Weapons Design and Assurance Center; a multi-discipline, product-focused organization that provides engineering design, components, subsystems, integration, testing, field support, and software for nuclear weapons and other high-consequence national security applications.
2664: The Data Analytics and Modeling department innovates technical solutions to nuclear deterrence and associated needs through the architecture, engineering, and development of complex software and data systems as well as the exploration and application of data science and data modeling techniques to unique nuclear deterrence data.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT