Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Science - Computational Simulation Software Development (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Computational Scientist to join a best-in-class team of computational simulation software developers.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop and apply numerical methods suitable to the scientific model
- Design and test maintainable software
- Lead implementation of software for high performance computing environments
- Work independently, engage with the team and collaborate with customers
- Contribute to scientific publications and presentations
- Master’s degree in a discipline with a focus on computational science
- Experience with scientific software development
- Experience with numerical methods for solving models that simulate scientific or engineered systems
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE L clearance
- Experience with software design such as Object-Oriented programming in C++
- Ability to find creative solutions to algorithms and software problems
- Experience with coding for new computer architectures, such as GPUs
- Familiarity with the Kokkos programming model
- Interest or experience in working on climate modeling applications, and having connections or a reputation in that area
- Ability to contribute to or lead the preparation of archived publications
- Interest in developing a research career through proposals, publications, and supervising other researchers
The Multiphysics Applications Department performs leading-edge software development and technical analysis through physics-based modeling and simulation, using our applications expertise as 'power users' to guide software development at Sandia's Center for Computing Research. Our goal is to establish first-of-a-kind uses of this software in diverse applications of national importance, ranging from nuclear stockpile stewardship to global atmospheric circulation, and spanning multiple disciplines of the physical sciences and engineering. As both developers and analysts, we act as a bridge to set a standard for computational simulation for the broader user community and to incorporate critical feedback from users for continuous improvements in our software development activities and products.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.