Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a highly motivated R&D S&E, Computer Engineer to join our dynamic team
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Troubleshoot hardware, networking and software problems in multi-node environment
- Configure and install operating system and application software on bare-metal computers, virtual machines or containers.
- Participate in scrum planning meetings, daily stand-ups, sprint and iteration demos
- Act as on-call support for network issues and data transmittal issues
- Be called upon to peer review other software design efforts and concepts within the center
- Oversee the execution of security measures called out in the security plan to include timely scans of network resources and software patches.
- Incorporate new design tools and approaches into our ever-improving design processes
- Develop diagnostic utilities and application software for qualified testers as well as diagnostic utilities.
- Interface with other design engineers, systems engineers, and subject matter experts in the performance of your design duties
- Work with a highly technical team to perform stockpile evaluation tests
- Create and maintain software documentation and updates
You may travel occasionally to the Weapons Evaluation Test Laboratory at Pantex.
Work with a highly technical team to perform stockpile evaluation tests while learning about the United States Nuclear Security Enterprise, nuclear weapon design and function, and the role of Sandia National Laboratories.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related discipline plus five years of relevant experience; or a master's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related discipline plus two years of relevant experience; or equivalent experience (a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience required to qualify in lieu of relevant degree)
- Experience in administering Linux based operating systems (Ubuntu, Red Hat or SUSE).
- BS and MS degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field
- Current Department of Energy (DOE)-granted Q-level security clearance
- Experience with Unix based operating systems such as SunOS or Solaris
- Vendor certifications from VMware, Red Hat, Microsoft or Cisco
- Experience with Sandia/NNSA cyber security plans, SNL CRDS and DISA STIGS
- Experience with Windows System Administration
- Experience implementing scripting solutions with Bash
- Experience with networking hardware such as Cisco and Juniper
- Experience in IT Infrastructure maintenance, patching, anti-virus and scanning
- Experience in the design, development, and qualification of software for complex testers and test systems
- Experience in software requirements analysis, software qualification plan development, and supporting large scale testing of complex systems
- Experience with modern infrastructure and configure management such as Git, Ansible, containers, and virtual machines
- Experience with DevOps development process using Agile or Iterative methodologies
- Experience with analyzing existing software and troubleshooting software issues
- Experience with NNSA/NW complex procedures and requirements.
- Experience in software languages like Java, C, C#, or Python.
Our team manages the Integrated Stockpile Evaluation (ISE) as a program driven to understand all aspects of stockpile systems to ensure that the nuclear weapon stockpile is known, with increasing certainty to be safe, secure, reliable and effective both now and into the future. ISE integrates a variety of stockpile evaluation programs and focuses on contributing to the transformation of US nuclear weapons stockpile and complex.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.