Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D Computer Engineer
Seeking a software developer to join a team working collaboratively on a project modernizing physical security systems. This activity is rewarding, high impact, and is an opportunity for an experienced developer to have a large, positive influence. The work environment is fast paced, utilizes agile methodology, and is teaming in nature. This position provides stable, full-time work on a single project with an exciting roadmap of future development activities. Travel is required approximately 1 week every 2 months.
The current need will not be on robotic projects, but will place the software developer in a team and department which regularly designs and develops robotics systems. Future projects will include opportunities for the candidate to participate in the designing and developing robotic systems.
- Requires a Bachelor’s and Master’sdegree in relevant STEM discipline plus two or more years’ experience; or Bachelor's and Doctorate in relevant STEM discipline. The requirement for a STEM Master’s degree can be waived for candidates with a bachelor’s in a relevant STEM discipline and engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Solid understanding of software engineering methodology, software system architecture, object-oriented analysis and design.
- Experience developing in Java or C#, C++
- Ability to work in loosely defined requirements from existing code base.
- The ability to work well on a team and individually, set priorities, and handle diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Experience with developing automated testing tools
- Experience in Linux development utilizing Git code management tools
- Experience with Ada, VMS
- Experience with Network Configuration
- Experience with Low Level serialization and messaging over networks.
- Experience in large, distributed software systems
- A background that includes data analysis, machine learning, and image processing.
The High Consequence Robotic Systems Department, Org 6531, performs applied research, development, maturation, and fielding of robotics. We are recognized as national leader in developing and fielding solutions that successfully operate in demanding missions requiring the high levels of robustness and safety. Our department has developed, integrated and deployed more than 30 significant high-consequence robotic systems since the middle 1990s and is a leader in developing cost-effective, reliable, automated systems. Our department focuses on the mid to higher Total Readiness Level (TRL) spectrum developing applications we field and then support throughout its operational mission. This results in a very customer-centric team enjoying regular interaction with our sponsors and end-users, often with a significant onsite presence.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT