Sandia National Laboratories Product Design Engineer (Early Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Product Design Engineer
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products, or systems for implementing and integrating engineering solutions.
- Produce designs, models, and product definition of complex objects.
- Determine product requirements based on user needs.
- Use CAD application software to develop electrical or mechanical design concepts.
Applicants may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several organizations at Sandia National Laboratories
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant discipline;
- Experience using CAD software for 3D solid modeling and mechanical drawing generation.
- Understanding of manufacturing methods for mechanical hardware;
- Experience using PTC-Creo software for mechanical engineering design;
- Understanding of configuration management principles;
- Evidence applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (ASME Y14.5) specifications and performing tolerance analyses;
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing principles;
- Demonstrated successful teamwork with excellent communication skills;
- Proven record of demonstrating initiative and getting results;
- Strong desire to be involved in product design and development.
We are seeking motivated Product Design Engineers to join our dynamic Design Engineering Group (2270). Applicants may be sourced and selected for any departments within the organization. The Mechanical Design departments provides mechanical design engineering services using Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, such as Pro/Engineer and other 3D modeling tools, to mathematically represent the physical attributes of the product. We partner with Product Realizations Teams (PRTs) to produce high quality design models and engineering drawings of systems, components and layouts including assembly and piece part definition using Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T). We determine the physical characteristics of the product to be manufactured, including geometric form, interface features, manufacturing specifications, processes, and assembly instructions. We ensure design feasibility from a manufacturing and product maintenance perspective. We communicate the design options and recommended approach to product development teams, stakeholders, and manufacturing partners. We apply technical judgment based upon engineering principles in the design and development of innovative products for supporting our Nation’s security programs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.