Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Surface Science in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to conduct high-impact research related to development of electronic devices using atomic precision advanced manufacturing. Are you passionate about research that leads to extending the capabilities of these technologies by discovering new compatible surface chemistries? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity to join our dynamic team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Integrate novel microfabrication concepts into diverse structures made via atomic precision advanced manufacturing
- Characterize the electrical properties of the novel devices made using these technologies
- Partner with a multidisciplinary team seeking the theoretical and experimental understanding of novel surface chemistries, materials stacks, and device physics
- Publish and present results in high-impact journals and at scientific conferences
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in Chemistry, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, or related discipline
- Experience performing creative research, as proven by a record of first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or conference papers and presentations
- Experience performing experiments involving the chemistry, physics, or engineering of surfaces, thin films, materials, or devices
- Experience working within a larger multidisciplinary team
- Ability to effectively communicate across disciplines, and levels of expertise
The Nanosystems Synthesis and Analysis Department consists of CINT scientific research staff assigned to the Physical, Chemical, & Nanosciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. CINT is a DOE/Office of Science National User Facility operated jointly by Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories with facilities at both Laboratories. The CINT Science Department is dedicated to establishing the scientific principles that govern the design, performance, and integration of nanoscale materials into microscale and macroscale systems and devices.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.