Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Multilevel/Multiphysics Solvers in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to develop multilevel algorithms for strongly-coupled multiphysics systems, with an emphasis on scalable block preconditioning methods. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively on a multidisciplinary research team conducting fundamental algorithmic research. You will also have the opportunity to develop high-performance parallel numerical software that will run on some of the largest supercomputers in the world.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct basic research in scalable block preconditioning methods for linear systems arising from magneto-hydrodynamic (MHD) and other plasma models
- Develop high-performance, portable C++ numerical algorithms for distributed memory multicore architectures
- Analyze and improve algorithmic and parallel scalability of linear solvers within MHD/plasma simulations on leading DOE computing platforms
- Communicate your research in peer-reviewed journal publications and conference presentations
- Impact Sandia’s national security mission
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in mathematics, computer science, or related engineering or science discipline
- Experience with iterative linear solver and preconditioning techniques, including multigrid methods
- Experience in advanced object-oriented programming in C++
- Good communication skills and research experience as evidenced by presentations, technical publications, released software, and/or work with applications
- Experience in parallel programming
- Experience working in collaborative software development environments
- Experience developing or working with Trilinos or a comparable scientific software library
- Experience in high-performance computing on distributed, parallel manycore architectures
- Experience utilizing C++ component software libraries for scientific software development
The Scalable Algorithms Department at Sandia National Laboratories is focused on developing new algorithms and approaches to address the challenges posed by next-generation computing hardware. The department intends to use its expertise in applied mathematics and computational science to address these challenges and help define the future of computing. While mission driven and focused, the Scalable Algorithms Department performs most of its research in the public domain, which affords the top research and development professionals in the department the opportunity to publish in the open literature and effectively team with leaders at other labs, universities, and industry.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT