Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Multi-Physics Analysis or Advancing Experimental Capabilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Multiple departments are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to perform multi-physics analysis or advance experimental capabilities to provide state of the art research for a broad range of projects supporting Sandia’s mission areas.
Responsibilities can include, but are not limited to:
- Performing a challenging mix of analytical and numerical tool and model development in the areas of coupled radiation transport and hydrodynamics, fluid-structure interaction, and thermal-structure interaction
- Teaming with in-house (high-fidelity, multiphysics) code development teams working on very challenging problems utilizing world-class computational resources
- Modeling of: coupled ablation and shock in microstructurally complex materials; material degradation in thermal and radiation environments; complex shock wave and boundary layer interactions with dynamic structures
- Coupling computational tools into usable multiphysics frameworks
- Developing laboratory shock and vibration specifications derived from experimentally measured field data and actively improving environments specification and execution of said specification
- Provide analytic support for shock and vibration field test measurement, including pre- and post- test analyses
- Advance the state of the art for mechanical, shock, and vibration testing, working collaboratively with other staff and technologists.
The Post-Doctoral Appointee Program is designed to recruit outstanding Ph.D. applicants to assist a line organization in meeting its mission objectives and to provide a professional technical work environment for the employee. The Ph.D. must have been conferred within one to five years prior to employment. These assignments are for a one-year period, with the option at management's discretion to serve no more than six additional one-year assignments
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment in Applied Mathematics, Aerospace, Civil, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or a related field
- Experience with structural dynamics
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoE Q clearance
- Strong background and experience in finite element modeling (FEM) and computational methods
- Experience with structural dynamics, solid mechanics, shock, vibration, fatigue, damage prediction, and/or non-destructive evaluation such as radiography
- Experience with basic laboratory test equipment, including data acquisition equipment, signal conditioners, and measurement sensors
- Experience with advanced data or image processing techniques
- Experience in computational methods for simulating stochastic materials, chemical reactions, radiation transport, or shockwave mechanics
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong collaborations with both computational scientists and experimentalists
- Experience in digital signal processing is desired
- Matlab experience
- Strong track record of first-authorship papers in peer-reviewed publications or conference presentations
The Structural Mechanics Research and Applications Group (1550) develops and applies computational capability to predict response of engineered systems to extreme environmental loadings including blast, impact, and penetration. The group is comprised of five departments specializing in Environments, Structural Dynamics, Solid and Material Mechanics, Shock Physics, and Component Science. Our mission focused portfolio spans the Research-Development-Application spectrum, providing leading edge solutions in support of product development and qualification, performance assessment, and vulnerability analysis.
The Experimental Solid Mechanics and Structural Dynamics Group (1520) conceives, constructs, and uses experimental platforms and diagnostics to obtain accurate and reproducible data in mission relevant normal and abnormal mechanical environments through environmental and nondestructive testing of components and systems for design, development, qualification, and simulation model validation. The four departments steward experimental capabilities to enable a range of activities spanning the R-D-A spectrum. The team supports a broad suite of customers through design support, environment simulation and diagnostics, qualification activities, field testing, and engineering discovery.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.