Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Molecular Gas Dynamics R & D in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a postdoctoral appointee to perform research and development to support and advance an open-source massively-parallel heterogeneous-architecture molecular gas dynamics code (Direct Simulation Monte Carlo).
Key functions of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in basic research that seeks to develop and apply theoretical and computational models to simulate fluid flows at the molecular level under extreme conditions.
- Develop and implement highly scalable computational techniques for grid adaptation, load balancing, heterogeneous computing.
- Connecting molecular scale phenomena to macroscale behavior
- Document work in the form of journal publications and technical reports, and present work to internal customers and at scientific conferences.
- PhD conferred within 5 years prior to employment in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science or other related engineering, computer, or physical science field
- Experience with molecular codes (DSMC, MD) or other related numerical approaches
- Experience with high-level programming languages (C++,C, Fortran)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Experience with Python, scripting languages, and grid generation software
- Software development experience, including working with development teams using object-oriented frameworks
- Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with discipline's standards for the ethical conduct of research
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to interact well with fellow technical workers with diverse technical backgrounds
- Interest in research spanning multiple disciplines, including fluid mechanics, physical chemistry, computer science
The Thermal/Fluid Component Sciences Department at Sandia National Laboratories provides a wide range of fluid modeling and analysis, and experimental discovery and validation support in discipline areas such as: incompressible flow, porous flow, reactive flow, multiphase flow, thermal/fluid coupling, suspensions, plasma physics, and rarefied gas dynamics. The department supports activities spanning the entire research-design-analysis spectrum, from creating fundamental physical models, to developing computational algorithms and codes, to applying these models and codes to solve fluid and plasma problems in a wide range of applications.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT