Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Ion Beam Lab Microscopy and Spectroscopy in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to conduct experimental research in the areas of nuclear energy, fusion energy, and nanoscience. In this role, you will use your experience and education in the fields related to in-situ transmission electron microscopy (TEM), in-situ scanning electron microscopy (SEM), precession electron diffraction (PED), ion beam modification (IBM), image processing, small scale mechanical testing, or some combination to support ongoing efforts and to develop and lead new efforts.
On any given day, you may called on to:
- Work to better understand the role of ion irradiation, ion implantation and general ion beam modification on the microstructure of advanced nanostructured materials
- Operate varied microscopy equipment in a wide range of conditions to support a range of ongoing programs, including the operation of several in-situ SEM and TEM holders
- Use groundbreaking data analysis to best interpret the data collected during the in-situ experiments
- Present the results of your research at properly suited international conferences
- Writeup and publish the thoroughly analyzed results in appropriate journals
- Assist with maintenance and improvement of the capabilities in the Ion Beam Lab at Sandia, with an emphasis on the laser systems associated with the transient gradient spectroscopy (TGS) and dynamic TEM (DTEM) systems and the possible addition of Raman to the in-situ ion irradiation TEM
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in Materials Science & Engineering, Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline
- Good communication skills as evidenced by a record of publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at scientific conferences
- Experience with experimental research and technique development
- Experience in in-situ SEM and TEM experiments, such as, in-situ heating, irradiation, implantation, and/or straining
- Experience using TEM for tomography, procession electron diffraction (PED), ultra-fast or dynamic TEM development (DTEM), or other advanced techniques
- Interest in exploring relationships between processing-structure-properties in diverse material systems
- Experience in using electron microscopy for diffraction analysis and defect analysis
- Experience testing a multitude of material systems, with emphasis on in-situ capabilities and an eagerness for technique development
- Experience in a range SEM and TEM sample preparation techniques
- Strong theoretical knowledge base in thermodynamics and kinetics
- Strong background in transmission electron microscopy, defect analysis, and far-from-equilibrium processes
- Strong publication record
- Ability to obtain a DOE clearance
The Nanosystems Synthesis and Analysis Department consists of CINT scientific research staff assigned to the Physical, Chemical, & Nanosciences Center at Sandia National Laboratories. CINT is a DOE/Office of Science National User Facility operated jointly by Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories with facilities at both Laboratories. The CINT Science Department is dedicated to establishing the scientific principles that govern the design, performance, and integration of nanoscale materials into microscale and macroscale systems and devices.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.