Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Concentrating Solar Technologies in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Post-Doctoral Researcher to support a large DOE funded project in a program called Gen3 CSP that will commence in 2018 and potentially continue for 5 years. The position will work in the Concentrating Solar Technologies Department (Dept 8823) which performs R&D in concentrating solar power (CSP) technologies for the generation of electricity and fuels at the National Solar Thermal Test Facility (NSTTF). The NSTTF is the only large-scale research and testing facility in the United States for CSP technologies. Work is focused on enabling today’s CSP industry and performing R&D that will change the nation’s energy future. The department conducts its research and testing in partnership with the US Department of Energy, other national laboratories, industry, and academia. The department has access to Sandia’s broader R&D capabilities and expertise, while simultaneously offering testing capabilities and services to other laboratory missions.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Independently conduct and deliver your own R&D activities or projects under leadership of senior staff. These activities and projects may be theoretical, computational and/or experimental. These activities will often require working in teams that can include partners from other institutions;
- Work with Sandia’s technology transfer and licensing professionals to move successful R&D from the Labs to industry;
- Assist or lead in the development of proposals to seek funding from sponsors and customers for new or ongoing R&D projects in CSP;
- Disseminate R&D outcomes and the departments capabilities in various forms including journal article publications and by presenting papers at national and international conferences;
- Potentially represent Sandia and the department in national or international committees relating to conferences, standards and publications.
- PhD in relevant STEM discipline;
- Research directly related to CSP or a similar field pertaining to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, or energy;
- Evidence of research expertise in the form of first-authored published journal articles or conference papers.
- Previous research experience in particle heat transfer, thermodynamics, or flow dynamics;
- Proficiency in computational modeling (e.g., Solidworks, ANSYS) and analytical tools (e.g., Matlab);
- Laboratory experience and ability to design and independently conduct experiments;
- Proficiency with data acquisition systems (e.g., Labview);
- Technical knowledge of multiple types of energy conversion or thermal energy utilization (e.g., process heating, thermal desalination);
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as evidenced by past publications, conference presentations, and references;
- Ability to work well in a team;
- Demonstration of leadership capabilities;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook).
Sandia National Laboratories is a world leader in the development of renewable energy systems. Our Concentrated Solar Technologies Department located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, develops Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) systems in partnership with DOE, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), and industry to facilitate the successful development and market deployment of utility scale solar electric and sustainable solar fuels.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT