Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Advanced Diagnostic Research in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation’s security?
You could be the Research & Development Postdoctoral Appointee we are seeking to join a team of researchers focused on development, validation, and application of advanced diagnostics for the harsh environments relevant to Sandia’s national security mission. Our team develops advanced optical and laser diagnostics for challenging thermal, fluid, and mechanical environments. Applications include fluid dynamics, combustion, energetic materials and wind tunnel studies. In this role, you will have access to state-of-the-art laser sources, x-ray sources, and advanced optical sensors.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform world-class research and development focused on development and application of advanced diagnostics for thermal, fluid, and mechanical environments
- Collaborate with staff members to provide laser and optical diagnostic expertise to support work in fluid dynamics, combustion, energetic materials and wind tunnel applications
- Develop laboratory-wide collaborations across multiple Sandia organizations and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Perform all duties in compliance with operational safety, security and quality guidelines
Are you ready for your next challenge? Join our team and achieve your goals while making a difference.
- PhD in Mechanical or Aerospace engineering or related discipline
- Experience with optical measurement techniques for fluid dynamic, combustion, energetic materials, wind tunnel applications, or related fields.
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to complete projects as evidenced by a history of peer-reviewed publications and presentations at appropriate scientific conferences.
- Ability to obtain a and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Expertise with open-beam nanosecond, picosecond and/or femtosecond laser systems
- Experience with laser/optical diagnostic techniques such as coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS), planar laser induced fluorescence (PLIF), digital in-line holography (DIH), x-ray measurements, particle image velocimetry (PIV), tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy (TDLAS), spontaneous Raman scattering (SRS), laser induced incandescence (LII), Digital Image Correlation (DIC), and/or filtered Rayleigh scattering (FRS)
- Understanding of data acquisition and signal processing methods and associated computer tools
The Diagnostic Science and Engineering Department (01512) develops and applies diagnostics for engineering sciences applications. We develop the expertise needed to adapt measurement techniques to challenging environments and understand the additional uncertainty which may be introduced. For model validation, we work in tandem with modelers to design optimum experiments. We assist data users in interpreting and understanding experimental results. Finally, we apply our expertise to understand the limitations of any diagnostic and the experimental uncertainty of the resulting data. The department is engaged in experimental activities in fluid mechanics, multiphase and reactive flows, rheology, shock science, and the thermal, chemical and mechanical characterization of materials, including polymeric and energetic materials. Our efforts are focused on (1) development and application of advanced diagnostics, (2) conduct of fundamental experiments to unravel unresolved phenomenology and to characterize material properties and material response, (3) design and performance of validation experiments supporting the Center's code development efforts, and (4) experimental support for weapon qualification/certification. The department has responsibility for the operation of thermal/fluids laboratories, pilot-scale multiphase flow test-beds, full-field measurement of material response and material characterization (DIC), and rheological characterization facilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.