Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering with the focus on power systems, renewable energy, smart grids, microgrids;
- Understanding of optimization methods and applications in power systems and control;
- Understanding of energy storage technologies and grid integration;
- Proficiency in Python, MATLAB.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision and ability to work in a teaming environment;
- Strong publication record demonstrated through journal, conference publications and technical reports;
- Experience in developing technical proposal preparations for new research topics;
- Knowledge of power system economics;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Understanding the Machine Learning and applications in Big Data;
- Experience with power system simulation software (e.g. PSLF, PSCAD, PowerWorld, PSSE);
- Hands-on experience with hardware-in-the-loop real time simulators (e.g., Opal-Rt, RTDS).
The Energy Storage Technology and Systems Department is focused on the development of advanced energy storage technologies and systems including the development of low cost battery technologies, safety and reliability of energy storage systems, power electronics and power conversion systems, computational and analytical tools for efficient utilization of energy storage in the electricity infrastructure. In addition, the department manages several activities for the DOE OE Energy Storage program related to the deployment and demonstration of new energy storage projects, including the development of methods and tools to evaluate the performance of storage systems, and methods for the optimal utilization of energy storage assets. The department works closely with a number of departments across Sandia in materials sciences, power sources, electrical sciences, fire science, power systems, renewables and grid integration. We also have active collaborations with many stakeholders in the electricity industry including electric utilities, product developers, universities and other national laboratories to enable the development and rapid integration of energy storage technologies in the electricity infrastructure.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
The Energy Storage Technology and Systems Department is seeking a highly dedicated and passionate postdoctoral researcher who will join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team.
On any given day, you may be called on to: