Sandia National Laboratories Opto-Mechanical Engineer - Satellites (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a driven and results-oriented Opto-Mechanical Engineer to join our product engineering team and work cohesively to handle a wide variety of roles and responsibilities. This position will focus on mechanical design for an optical based system and requires understanding of the product realization process for space-based hardware. This includes fabrication and assembly, interpreting and translating mechanical/optical concepts into opto-mechanical designs and fabricated hardware, and documentation.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to become involved in a high visibility program area that manages the full range of remote sensing space system payloads and ground system software. Improved design, development, realization, and quality are all major thrusts of our program.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform mechanical engineering functions for new space-based payload containing optics, mechanical design and analysis
- Support design qualification testing by design of fixtures, test setup, conducting the test, and analyzing data
- Work with other Sandia organizations to resolve issues discovered from qualification testing and production
- Serve as POC for mechanical components and perform procurement related activities to get parts through fabrication, inspection, and into stores
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 2 years' relevant experience OR Bachelor's degree in above state field plus 6 years'
- Proven experience in optical/mechanical design projects
- Experience with mechanical design drawing packages and tolerancing, i.e. Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Can obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Master's or PhD degree in the above stated field
- Possess a strong dedication to a teaming dynamic and ability to collaborate with internal organizations and external production facilities and suppliers
- Strong written and verbal skills, detail oriented with a keen focus on customer service
- Creo or other mechanical engineering design tools experience
- Knowledge of and understanding in the following areas: design for manufacturability; part, material and process assessments for flight hardware in space environments; quality management or familiarity with AS9100 quality requirements; and measurement techniques
- Proven experience in product realization of mechanical components including: procurements, inspections, nonconformance and corrective action management, supplier assessments, and supplier development
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently multi-task projects and roles within projects
- Current and active DOE "Q" security clearance or "L" clearance with ability to obtain a "Q"
We provide the competencies vital for harnessing and developing the world’s best technologies, practices, and suppliers for realizing advanced remote sensing systems. The RSS Group leads and implements the design, fabrication, integration, testing, and delivery of the Global Burst Detection (GBD) Program Satellite Payloads. We provide a broad competency base of needed skill sets for the development of advanced satellite payloads, NW support needs, and other WFO programs. We can use our unique capabilities and team to provide end-to-end program needs. Embedded within the group are strengths in: analog/digital and embedded electronic design, software design, electronic fabrication and testing, optical science and design of optical sensor systems, power systems, test and integration utilizing space environment test capabilities, system tester development, and analytics.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.