Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Technologist-Energetic Systems (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves challenging issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking a Mechanical Technologist to help support the setup and execution of field experiments involving high explosives at Thunder Range. You will possess the ability to integrate into a diverse team and perform in a high consequence environment while maintaining composure. As a member of this dynamic team environment, you will communicate, think on your feet, improvise, and work safely towards solutions, while dealing with complex problems, demanding timelines, and physical constraints of the test setup. Due to the physical labor involved in job tasks, a job placement analysis and test will be necessary.
On any given day, your responsibilities may include:
- Work occasional non-standard hours and intermittent travel.
- Perform functions from lab maintenance and cleanup to fabricating test fixtures to assisting the setup of instrumentation and data acquisition for high consequence high-energy events
- Through on-the-job training (OJT), formal classroom training, and hands-on practical training and demonstrations, this position will culminate in qualification as an Explosives Operator
- You are a US Military Veteran wounded in combat
- You have a high school diploma plus five or more years of directly related experience
- Your background includes three years, or more, experience relevant high-consequence environments
- Your skillset includes more than three years' experience with machining, welding, fabrication, or relevant field
- You can obtain and maintain a required US DOE security clearance
Your background should also include:
- Explosive operations experience as a primary job function
- Associates degree or certificate in a relevant field such as engineering, mechanics, machining, electronics, welding or drafting and/or equivalent relevant experience
- Familiarity with x-ray technology, photography, high speed video, and image processing
- Familiarity with high speed data acquisition and electronics including imaging and voltage signals from strain or pressure gages
- Demonstrated knowledge of explosive hazards
- Eager to work outdoors at a remote test site that will involve dusty, hot, and cold conditions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our team, the Energetic Systems Research, conducts focused research in shock physics combined with a comprehensive understanding and analysis of energetic material to develop applications and solutions for DOE, DOD and other US government customers in a direct and timely manner. The department develops, improves, and fields leading-edge modeling capabilities for shock physics and energetic events. The department’s core mission also includes the design and fielding of render safe tools for critical national missions, advanced EOD energetic render safe tools, advanced energetic breaching tools, and the characterization of energetic material behaviors. We also provide energetics, instrumentation and test operations support for selected SNL and SPP customers.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national original, disability, or veteran status.
Selected applicants will be required to pass a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.