Sandia National Laboratories Material Science R&D Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Engineering Support Technologist to assist in conducting research in encapsulation and mold release systems. You will be responsible for operating, maintaining, and modifying numerous pieces of processing equipment used in the development of encapsulation systems. Work activities will focus on neutron generator (NG) knowledge gap activities related to encapsulation processes in support of production as well as the development of advanced materials and approaches to support the aims of new designs. Efforts will involve the collaboration with members of the SNL materials & physics community to learn and onboard new diagnostic and characterization methods. Some Travel Required
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Maintain, repair, modify chemical processing/characterization equipment as required to support research goals. When needed, arrange facilities requests, develop safety/security plans, and coordinate service visits in support the operations of equipment.
- Work in a laboratory setting monitoring experiments and making and recording observations in support of the development and testing of scientific theories.
- Support documentation efforts, including preparing information for scientific and engineering reports and publications.
- Support the development of novel diagnostics and their implementation.
- Share duties in support of the operations of a classified laboratory environment, including security plans for classified workstations and equipment, tracking movement of classified components, equipment calibration, lab upkeep/tidiness, safety documentation (ESCs, TWDs, PSDPS, PHS, NRTL inspections, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Chemical Engineering, Materials, Polymer Science or Engineering, Chemistry or related fields
- Experience using lab and processing equipment such as sample preparation tools, optical microscopes, chemical vapor deposition, furnaces, vacuum chambers, and mixers
- Able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-Level security clearance and a Radiation Worker II certification
- Ability to work safely and securely according to SNL ES&H and Security Requirements
- Experience keeping detailed logbooks, documenting work, and documenting procedures and test sequences.
- An understanding of the processing-structure-property relationships for materials
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to communicate and report results both verbally and in written form
- Experience with lab automation, particularly with developing programs using LabVIEW to communicate to equipment and acquire data, analyze raw data, and present results.
- Ability and willingness to obtain Green Belt Certification/Lean Six Sigma training
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, effectively plan and manage work assignments and schedules, and to take the initiative for continuous improvement
- Active DOE security clearance
The mission of the Neutron Generator Applied Science and Technology Maturation Department is to conduct focused research towards the discovery, integration, and protection of the scientific knowledge behind the design, production, and sustainability of neutron generators. Our work uses computational modeling, materials science, chemistry, plasma science, high voltage & arc physics, advanced manufacturing methods, and neutron testing to support manufacturing and design. Along with our internal expertise, we also collaborate with a variety of internal organizations and external institutions to accomplish our goals. We apply this knowledge in creative and innovative ways for understanding the health of the existing stockpile, to design for the future, and to support national security.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.