Sandia National Laboratories Manager, R&D Science and Engineering (5497) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Next-Gen Systems & Analysis (NGSA) Group, Organization 5490, partners with multiple internal and external stakeholders performing strategic and operational analyses to guide the design and development of next generation systems and solutions for the warfighter. NGSA is seeking an enthusiastic, forward-thinking leader to join as a manager in the Directed Energy (DE) Enterprise which includes the Directed Energy Missions Department (05497), the Directed Energy Applications Department (05498) and the Directed Energy Assessments Department (05499). This manager will work very closely with the other two DE Enterprise managers to execute the overall Directed Energy business of the Labs. This includes research in the generation, radiation, propagation, coupling, and effects of radio frequency and microwaves as part of directed energy weapon systems providing threat-informed DE technology solutions for the warfighter.
Areas of interest for the DE Enterprise include high-power electromagnetic systems, compact pulsed power systems, radio frequency sources and antennas, electronic effects phenomena, photoconductive semiconductor switches, compact tunable laser sources, laser-induced plasmas, and laser imaging and diagnostics. The DE Enterprise executes research and development to support mission execution of directed energy technologies and associated sources, sensors, and components; engineering to apply Directed Energy technologies to specific applications; and assessments of blue and red force systems. Work environments range from laboratory work in state-of-the-art facilities to field work at local and remote test sites. Work products range from studies and analyses to delivery of beyond-state-of-the-art hardware to support our customer base to move Directed Energy technologies to operational use.
The work is performed for a variety of mission customers across the Labs and other government agencies. The manager will have a large programmatic role that requires the individual to be comfortable partnering very closely with fellow managers in the DE Enterprise and delegating to a team of experienced Principal Investigators. The manager will work with external sponsors for the Integrated Military Systems (IMS) program area. The manager will also work internally with other program areas to build and maintain relationships and develop capabilities that support a variety of high-impact missions. The role requires the ability to set a strategic vision in R&D to build new capabilities, with an emphasis on achieving bold outcomes. This manager must be able to establish and maintain strong synergistic relationships in a teaming environment with the Center 5400 management team, serve as a collaborative partner across Sandia, and execute Sandia’s and Division 5000’s strategies. The job will require working with staff and managers across Division 5000 as well as Divisions 1000, 2000, 6000 and 8000.
Security and safety of operations within the department are critical. The manager is responsible for ensuring safe and effective laboratory operations within the department. This also includes planning for maintenance and development of capabilities to meet deliverables for our sponsors. Secure operations are a cornerstone of trust for our sponsors. The manager must ensure the culture of mindfulness of and adherence to specific security requirements for each project’s activities.
The manager will be responsible for hiring, managing, and supporting the career development of a technically diverse workforce. The manager must establish and maintain an exceptional career environment for strong workforce recruiting and retention, and for engaging staff in development and mentoring.
On any given day, you may be required to:
- Promote excellence by managing and coordinating specific deliverables, overall program and project plans, budgets, structures, schedules, and staffing requirements.
- Ensure that customers’ needs are satisfied through the creation of trust-based relationships. This will require some travel to ensure Sandia is a fully participating partner in the DE community.
- Apply organization knowledge and experience to independently judge work quality, performance, and alignment of results with customer expectations.
- Lead the coordination of research to discover, test, and implement directed energy technologies and applications. Research areas include, but are not limited to the generation, radiation, propagation, coupling, and effects of radio frequency and microwaves as part of directed energy weapon systems.
- Understand and guide the work of the organization and connect the work and expertise of the organization with potential beneficiaries, collaborators, and customers.
- Steward the capabilities leveraged by the department.
- Oversee and manage members of the workforce within the organization, including hiring, professional development, and assessment and performance management, consistent with the mission of the organization.
- This position requires the ability to travel and interact positively with a diverse set of SPP/SIPP sponsors
- Bachelor's and master's degree in a relevant STEM discipline, or a bachelor’s and a doctorate in a relevant STEM discipline, or bachelor's in a relevant STEM discipline plus four years relevant experience.
- In addition to the education requirements above, candidates must also have eight or more years of relevant experience.
- Active and ability to maintain a required US DOE Q security clearance or DOD Equivalent.
- Ability to obtain and maintain US DOE SCI access, which may require a polygraph test.
Ideally, your background will also include some of the following:
- Two or more years of experience leading teams and managing R&D for programs to deliver high-impact results.
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other relevant discipline plus 5 years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience in radio frequency electromagnetics or laser systems, propagation, and effects.
- Current or previous SCI.
- Demonstrated ability to steward enduring capabilities.
- Successful experience in business development with the Department of Defense or similar government entities and understanding of the SPP/SIPP process and business model at SNL.
- Successful experience in delivering R&D technologies and products to US Government sponsors.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing customer requirements into technical research roadmaps.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams in the research and development of novel technological solutions.
- Strong desire to support and work interactively with management teams, project teams, and customers.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and time-management skills.
- Experience in successfully interacting with and influencing a variety of stakeholders at all levels, customers, industry partners, management and staff
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute an action plan given multiple, conflicting requirements and constraints
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse security requirements, from unclassified to highly classified environments.
Sandia Labs’ Directed Energy (DE) Enterprise includes the Directed Energy Missions Department (05497), the Directed Energy Applications Department (05498) and the Directed Energy Assessments Department (05499). The DE Enterprise teams to execute the overall Directed Energy business of the Labs. This includes research in the generation, radiation, propagation, coupling, and effects of radio frequency and microwaves as part of directed energy weapon systems providing threat-informed DE technology solutions for the warfighter.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov *These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.