Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Transportation/Receiving Team - Laborer Union Undergraduate Year-Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Year Round - Laborer Union Undergraduate Intern to join our dynamic team!
On any given day, you may be working under the guidance and oversight of a Logistics Professionals to:
- Receive, offload and segregate packages from carrier vehicles into warehouse environment utilizing appropriate scanning and tracking devices.
- Coordinate distribution of packages for transportation drivers while utilizing appropriate scanning and tracking devices.
- Lift, move and carry packages to various locations within the receiving warehouse and Sandia building(s).
- Safely operate forklift within a warehouse environment and receiving yard.
- Tracking mileage on transportation vehicles and fleet.
- Provide professional customer service to carriers and vendors that may enter the warehouse.
- Utilization of scanners, pallet wrapper, hand truck, carts, pallet jacks and other various warehouse equipment.
- Staging of various packages and material in a warehouse environment.
- Maintenance of warehouse to basic upkeep of warehouse, appropriate disposition of pallets and other materials.
The student selected for this position will be exposed to the elements and warehouse conditions such as heat, cold, dust, and equipment noise.
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
As a condition of employment, the selected candidate will be represented by the Metal Trades Council (MTC), which requires monthly membership dues or agency fees. The position may require the ability to pass a job placement assessment for performing essential job functions. New hires into an MTC represented position will remain in the initial position for six (6) months (twelve  months if a Tradesman) before being eligible to be considered for other Sandia employment.
Per the agreement between Sandia and the MTC, this position offers preferential consideration to applicants who can demonstrate that they are from economically disadvantaged families as defined by either federal or state agencies. If you wish to be considered for this preference, please submit any supporting documentation with your resume.
Satisfactory completion of a Job Placement Assessment (JPA), which measures your ability to meet the physical demands of the job, with or without accommodation.
- Experience working in a warehouse environment
- Forklift experience
- Good communication and teaming skills
- Willingness to learn new skills
Transportation duties include delivering material received at building 957, performing material moves, transporting JIT returns, taking material to shipping, and transporting material to Reapplication. Another service provided is bus transportation for guests and/or visitors at the Sandia National Laboratories Albuquerque site and within the Albuquerque area, for a service fee.Receiving duties include accepting incoming unclassified, classified, non-hazardous and hazardous material for SNL NM, processing into corporate systems, sorting and preparing material for delivery.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Selected applicants will be required to pass a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.