Sandia National Laboratories Intern- TITANS TEAM - Autonomy NM - R&D Undergraduate Summer 2021 in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are currently hiring R&D Undergraduate Interns to join our TITANS team for Summer 2021! Qualified candidates will be part of a larger family named Technical Internships to Advance National Security (TITANS) that includes tracks for Cybersecurity, Software and Math and Analytics.
AutonomyNM exists to innovate and implement autonomy solutions for our national security mission. We do this by recruiting the best and brightest from world-class institutions, mentoring the next generation of engineers and scientists, investing in our staff to develop new capabilities, and demonstrating cutting-edge research in the lab and beyond. The AutonomyNM intern program aims to give dedicated students opportunities to develop the leadership, technical, and professional skills necessary to positively impact the nation through autonomy R&D.
We are interested in students with a passion for research areas that include autonomous systems, aerodynamics and hypersonic flight, machine learning, deep learning, complex algorithm development, neural networks, reinforcement learning, computer vision, sensing and perception, localization, and navigation/guidance/control hardware and software development. Our program is highly interdisciplinary and designed for students pursuing degrees in the following majors, in alphabetical order:
- Aerospace engineering
- Computer engineering
- Computer science
- Data science
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
- Proficiency with MatLab, C++, Python, or another coding language
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Experience in applied mathematics and statistics
- Experience with image and signal processing algorithms
- Experience with implementing autonomous systems and/or machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning, computer vision, and localization/geolocation approaches
- Familiarity with sensor phenomenology such as optical, multispectral, and radar
- Familiarity with aerodynamics
- Familiarity with electrical and mechanical systems integration
Autonomy NM conducts research and engineering in support of three primary application areas: Onboard autonomy for sensing and target recognition and for advanced flight and navigation/guidance/control (NGC) systems; cooperative autonomous systems for high consequence mission execution; and AI-enabled analysis of defense technologies.
The Autonomy for Hypersonics Mission Campaign (Department 5449) is responsible for university collaborations, an innovative research portfolio in autonomous systems development, and flight demonstrations of technology advancement. The department supports the research and development of software, autonomy algorithms, prototype hardware, target recognition, and navigation/guidance/control. We actively partner with subject matter experts both at the Labs and throughout the nation to execute high-impact research to meet national defense needs.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.