Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Scalable System Software R&D Undergraduate Co-op in Albuquerque, New Mexico
This position is for January - May 2020 with flexible dates within that range.
An intern position is open in the Scalable System Software Department of Sandia’s Center for Computing Research (http://ccr.sandia.gov). The Center for Computing Research (CCR) at Sandia creates technology and solutions for many of our nation's most demanding national security challenges. The Center's portfolio spans the spectrum from fundamental research to state-of-the-art applications. Our work includes computer system architecture (both hardware and software); enabling technology for modeling physical and engineering systems; and support research in discrete mathematics, data analytics, cognitive modeling, and decision support. We are seeking all qualified applicants and have a strong focus on ensuring diverse hiring of all kinds.
Students will be paired with a mentor. This position offers substantial opportunity for training and technical mentorship including immersion in a collaborative research environment with a goal of participating in generating published novel technology innovations. The successful candidate should enjoy working in a challenging and dynamic environment requiring constant learning.
The successful candidates will work on large scale storage or workflow systems to support science. It is understood that applicants will have limited experience in the activity areas, but a strong work ethic and some background in the basic skills are required. Domain-specific knowledge, such as scientific simulations, can be learned on the job. Depending on skill level and interest, potential activities include:
Understanding, designing, developing, and evaluating:
A flexibility extension to a relational database engine
- Infrastructure to support configuration and deployment of data analytics pipelines
- Resilience techniques for data analytics pipelines
- New OS support features for container systems such as Singularity, on top of Linux
- Sensor-style data streaming application for real-time data decision support
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Undergraduate student at an accredited university
- Enrolled full time in the term immediately preceding the internship
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Registration with the university's co-op office
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Well-developed technical skills
- Programming experience (C and C++)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and capable of working independently
- Critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to team well with others
To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America. Sandia will not sponsor work authorization for this position.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5/4.0
- Strong interest in high performance computing/scientific computing
- Linux development stack experience including simple shell scripting, makefiles, and version control
- Programming experience outside the classroom, especially collaborative work thorough a site (i.e. Github)
- Well-developed hands-on skills
- Prior internship experiences
- Leadership experience
- Interest in pursuing a research career (MS or PhD) in an engineering or computer science field
The Scalable System Software department supports the design, implementation, and evaluation of system software for extreme-scale parallel computing platforms with a focus on maximizing the performance, scalability, robustness, and efficiency of key scientific, engineering, and analysis applications. Areas of active research include: lightweight compute node operating systems, dynamic adaptive runtime systems, low-level high-performance networking software, application and system resiliency, application performance analysis, RAS software infrastructure, support for integrated analysis, and parallel file systems and I/O.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico need to pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a clearance, a pre-processing background review may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance need to be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.