Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Photonic & Phononic Microsystems R&D Graduate Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Summer - R&D Grad
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Support our research staff in developing novel photonics, optoelectronic, and electronic devices
- Become familiar with selected novel optical devices and develop practical laboratory skills
- Develop and implement experimental setup and characterize fabricated devices
- Analyze and document results in reports or papers
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Undergraduate degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, or a related science/engineering discipline
- Basic science/engineering and math background and laboratory experiment skills
- Understanding of the use of a variety of research tools
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to contribute in a team environment
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Experience with basic laser systems, optical measurement techniques, and data collection systems
- Experience with instrumentation software such as LabVIEW
- Good understanding of advanced principles related to physics, optics, and micro- and nanofabrication techniques
- Knowledge of programming languages such as C++, Java, etc.
- Experience with simulations software such as MATLAB, Mathcad, etc.
- Experience with 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc.
- Experience with preparing mechanical design drawings
The Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department develops and matures state of the art photonic and phononic technologies for a variety of national security purposes. Our team of interdisciplinary researchers innovates, develops, and applies novel technologies including silicon photonics, nanophotonics, optomechanics, metamaterials, plasmonics, optical detectors, guided wave optics, phononic and thermoelectric technologies, spanning fundamental research and path-finding engineering solutions. Check out Sandia's National Security Photonics Center at http://www.sandia.gov/mstc/nspc.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.