Sandia National Laboratories Intern- Molecular and Microbiology R&D Undergraduate Year Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Year Round - R&D Undergrad
On any given day, you may be called on to complete:
- Laboratory maintenance
- Media preparation
- Biological cultivation (bacteria, algae, and plants)
- Molecular biology (PCR, electrophoresis, etc.) Physiological characterization (spectroscopy, microscopy, HPLC)
- Data analysis
- Genetic engineering
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Majoring in chemical engineering, bioengineering, biochemistry, biology, or a related field
- A strong academic background
- Ability to work safely and follow instructions
- Strong desire to learn
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a research laboratory
The Bioenergy and Defense Technologies department, which is part of Sandia's Biological and Engineering Sciences Center, supports mission areas in biodefense, emerging infectious disease, and biofuels. The department conducts fundamental and applied research in cell biology, immunology, nanomaterials and microbiology. The focus is on the development and use of advanced enabling technologies such as fluorescence microscopy, vibrational spectroscopies, X-ray and neutron scattering, and chemometric data analysis tools to study biological systems of interest to biofuels development and biodefense. Current research projects include developing nanoparticles for drug and vaccine delivery, understanding receptor activation and cell signaling processes, novel pathogen detection approaches, plant physiology, cellulase enzymes, as well as algal biochemistry and cultivation characterization for biofuels applications. We conduct research for the National Institutes of Health, Basic Energy Sciences, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense, U.S. Industry, Department of Health and Human Services and Sandia's Laboratory Directed Research & Development program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.