Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Computational Simulation Infrastructure R&D Undergraduate Year Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Year Round - R&D Undergrad
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop, integrate, and support solutions and methods for production software development workflows
- Develop and maintain tools to support building and testing software on High-Performance Computing platforms
- Create and maintain software quality analysis capabilities for continuously evaluating production-ready status
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team environment conducting software research, development, productization, maintenance, and support for modern and next-generation computing environments
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Familiarity with C/C++ or Java, Python, and Shell Scripting
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level security clearance
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience using formal software engineering processes
- Experience utilizing component software libraries for scientific software development
- Familiarity with configuration management, issue tracking, automated testing infrastructure, and/or commonly used software engineering tools (CMake/CTest/CDash, GitLab, Jenkins, etc.)
- Familiarity with utilizing Agile software
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development workflows
- Experience developing software and using tools on multiple platforms such as Linux, macOS, and/or Windows
Sandia's Computational Simulation Group (CSG) is a highly integrated team of departments focused on delivering an integrated suite of trusted, world-class, predictive engineering tools enabling multi-physics analyses for national security and national competitiveness applications. This suite of computational simulation tools and supporting framework is known as SIERRA and has explicit ties to the Labs' workflow, including geometry and meshing, design and optimization, visualization, and maintenance and support. The CSG employs rigorous product development processes where staff are the key impetus for process improvements through adoption of new techniques and industry best practices. SIERRA development is conducted under the principles of lean/agile software practices. These development practices help ensure effective and efficient support to customers through a mature and integrated software infrastructure which is transparent across the customer base, regardless of missions/programs/projects. For planning purposes, the infrastructure is subdivided into several components: algorithms and software development (build environments, software quality tools, and software testing), software deployment (licensing, distribution, and export controls), and the software maintenance and services (software setup and updates, software training, and help desk). This infrastructure serves as the foundation upon which systems and capabilities are built, tested, deployed, and sustained; and, the Computational Simulation Infrastructure Team is the coordination point for software development tools, processes, and end-user distribution for the SIERRA suite of capabilities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.