Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Atmospheric Sciences R&D Undergrad Year Round in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Year Round - R&D Undergrad
On any given day, you may be called on to
- Work with atmospheric scientists to analyze data
- Run various models
- Assist in generating graphics and reports associated with climate and earth system modeling
- Utilize familiarity with UNIX (or basic commands and editors)
- Utilize experience running atmospheric models
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Currently pursuing a degree in Earth/Atmospheric Sciences, Computer Science, or a related field
- Basic programming experience
- Familiarity with UNIX
- Experienced in running Atmospheric Models, analyzying, plotting, and documenting model output
The staff in the Atmospheric Sciences Department at Sandia National Labs have expertise in atmospheric measurements and modeling. Technical activities cover the spectrum from theory to application, including algorithm development, computer modeling, data inversion, instrumentation and measurement systems development, field demonstration, field campaign execution, and field site management. Particular expertise exists in the measurement and modeling of atmospheric processes in the Arctic including the use of unmanned aerial vehicles such as small fixed wing and rotary aircraft and tethered balloons, as well as the use and cold hardening of measurement systems such as radar and lidar. The department serves as a Laboratories resource for atmospheric sensing expertise.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.