Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Aerospace Systems Analysis R&D Graduate Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sandia National Laboratories’ Aerospace Systems Analysis Department is seeking a highly qualified student pursuing a graduate degree in aerospace/aeronautical, mechanical, or electrical engineering (or a similar STEM discipline) to support on-going flight test programs and design/development efforts during the summer of 2019.
Qualified candidates may be called to draw upon their experience, knowledge, and interest in applied aerodynamics, flight mechanics, and flight system design to:
- Work as a member of a high performing, passionate, multi-disciplinary team
- Support the design, development, and flight test of advanced aerospace flight systems
- Create system models for conceptual design trade space analysis
- Develop and deploy data visualization tools for aerodynamic model and trajectory simulation data review
- Support trajectory simulation development
- Perform 3DOF/6DOF trajectory simulation of sounding rockets for flight performance analysis and mission requirement verification
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related SEM discipline
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related SEM graduate program
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication/presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate and contribute as a member of multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of aerodynamics and application to the design, modeling, simulation, optimization, and analysis of aerospace flight systems
- Experience with aerodynamic prediction software/tools and/or computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with the capabilities, use, and application of MATLAB®, Simulink®, Python™, C/C++, or other modern programming languages
- Ability to obtain and maintain or current possession of an active DOE L-level clearance or DoD equivalent
The Aerospace Systems Analysis Department provides expertise and technical leadership in the areas of:
- Multi-fidelity applied aerodynamics
- Flight dynamics analysis
- Trajectory simulation/optimization
- Multi-body dynamics analysis design
- Flight safety analysis
- Range operations support
These disciplines are applied to a wide range of flight systems operating from subsonic through hypersonic flight regimes. The Aerospace Systems Analysis Department actively explores and develops advanced flight system concepts leading to next-generation design, development, and flight test demonstration of pathfinder hypersonic technologies, launch vehicles, and reentry flight systems.
Staff members are integral flight test project team members; active in all aspects of vehicle design, mission planning, flight test execution, and post-test analysis. We routinely support rocket launch and flight test operations at Sandia’s Kauai Test Facility and other national test ranges. We provide technical excellence in aerospace design and concept application for U.S. Department of Energy defense programs and flight system projects funded through the U.S. Department of Defense, Missile Defense Agency, DARPA, NASA, and industry partners.
Examples of Sandia’s rocket and flight system programs include:
High Operational Tempo Sounding Rocket Program: https://youtu.be/fa_AtKtidjw
“It Really Is Rocket Science!”: https://youtu.be/koQfwHgOuMo
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.