Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Advanced Surety Mechanisms Nuclear Weapons Summer Product Realization Institute (NWSPRINT) R&D Graduate Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an R&D Graduate student for The Summer Product Realization Institute for NW (NW SPRINT). The selected candidate will be participating in a design competition that challenges teams to design, produce an additively manufactured component or product and analyze and test their creation to determine viability and performance. The competition provides teams with an opportunity to experience an entire product R&D lifecycle.
The selected candidate will perform entry-level work within a research and development, science and engineering environment working in conjunction with multi-disciplinary Sandia staff on projects that involve applying integrated technical judgment--which requires using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, to collect data through observation and experimentation, and to formulate and test hypotheses. Additionally, they will support work in the fundamentals of science and engineering while applying an understanding of engineering and scientific principles. The selected candidate will assist in the creation and application of scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems.
On any given day, you may also be called on to:
- Assist Sandia National Laboratory Staff Members in observing and/or conducting experiments
- Gather and analyze data
- Assemble hardware
- Other duties assigned under the direction of a Staff Mentor
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Hard working and experience troubleshooting and building capabilities involving electrical, mechanical, materials, aeronautical and optical components
- Ability to break down a complex problem into simple terms
- Think critically about complex, open-ended problems
- Hands on experience involving electro-mechanical-optical systems, instrumentation, data analysis
- Experience or exposure to design engineering and additive manufacturing or 3D printing is desired
- Experience or exposure to hardware assembly and experience with basic hand tools is desired
- Candidate should be a self-starter, motivated with a strong desire to learn in a wide variety of topics in multiple disciplines
- Good written and oral communication; willingness to communicate with team members and mentors from different backgrounds
- Candidate should be creative and willing to push boundaries by exploring options outside of the “normal”
The Summer Product Realization Institute for NW (NW SPRINT) is a design program focused on increasing agility and facilitating the development of novel concepts and ideas on a compressed schedule. During the course of the summer, beginning the last week of May until the first week of August, each design team will successfully design, fabricate, analyze and test a functional device. Each year’s design challenge is relevant to Sandia National Laboratories’ core mission and offers opportunities for student interns to partner with technical staff mentors and researchers from across the laboratory, as well as other student interns.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.