Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Advanced Firing Subsystems R&D Undergraduate Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Intern Summer - R&D Undergrad
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform entry-level work within a research and development, science and engineering environment, working in conjunction with Sandia staff on projects that involve applying integrated technical judgment – using the scientific method to recognize and formulate problems, collect data through observation and experimentation, and formulate and test hypotheses
- Support work in the fundamentals of science and engineering while applying an understanding of engineering and scientific principles
- Assist in the creation and application of scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to team well with others
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level security clearance
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5/4.0
Advanced Firing Subsystems Department is responsible for the design and technology maturation of advanced concept firing subsystems for future nuclear weapon systems.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.