Sandia National Laboratories Integrated Photonic Researcher / Optical Engineer (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work? Do you dream of working in state-of-the-art facilities with safety & security culture? Do you want to join a diverse team that serves an organization that supports our national security?
We are seeking an Integrated Photonic Researcher/ R&D S&E, Optical Engineering to join our dynamic team in 5265 The Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Perform cutting-edge research in silicon photonics in simulation, design, and experimental characterization of devices.
- Direct post-docs, students, and staff members to achieve milestones and deliverables. Give presentations on program outputs.
- Work in a team setting to propose new research programs, and work with sponsors, management, and other stake holders to obtain funding.
- Report research results in top-tier journals and conferences.
- Generate new intellectual property through patent filing as applicable.
- Bachelor's and Master's degree in STEM or relevant discipline.
- Experience in the design and test of optical systems, optical materials or devices, or photonics microsystems.
- Experience in developing or using software for device performance simulations using, for example, Comsol, Matlab/Simulink, FDTD codes etc.
- Experience performing original research, demonstrated through a record of invention, original publications in top-tier journals, and conference papers and presentations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q Security Clearance.
Ideally, we would like to see your background include some of the following:
- PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Science, Physics, or other related STEM technical discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years post-graduate experience in integrated optics or optical communications.
- Demonstrated expertise in integrated photonics (in particular, silicon photonics) simulation, design, and testing.
- Experience in high speed characterization of devices, electrical probe stations, operation of high speed and high frequency test equipment, such as bit error rate test equipment, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and high-speed oscilloscopes. Additional experience automating characterization experiments is a plus.
- Experience interfacing electrical components to optical microsystems; examples are modulator drivers, transimpedance amplifiers, and electronic control circuits.
- Knowledge of semiconductor physics, optical materials, nonlinear optics, and/or related topics.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment and flexibility to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated project leadership including reporting, budgeting, directing others, and meeting milestones and deliverables.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Active DOE Q Clearance.
The Photonic and Phononic Microsystems Department develops and matures state of the art photonic and phononic technologies for a variety of national security purposes. Our team of interdisciplinary researchers innovates, develops, and applies novel technologies including silicon photonics, nanophotonics, optomechanics, metamaterials, plasmonics, optical detectors, guided wave optics, phononic and thermoelectric technologies, spanning fundamental research and path-finding engineering solutions.
Check out Sandia’s National Security Photonics Center at http://www.sandia.gov/mstc/nspc
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.