Sandia National Laboratories GT1 Structural in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Structural Trades
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Obtain and analyze job information to lay out, construct, modify, overhaul, maintain, repair and install all types of facility/sheetmetal structures, structural equipment, test facilities or other items to include related mechanical rotating equipment and associated components. Maintain and repair all types of facility roofing systems, including metal, membrane, and built-up roofing.
- Use prefabricated materials or raw materials and fabricate parts of assemblies as necessary.
- Erect, dismantle, align, level, move or install all types of machine tools, process equipment, test equipment, and similar or associated items and structural devices. Perform preventive and corrective maintenance functions on all types of roll-up doors, dock levers, security gates, turnstiles and roofing systems.
- As a condition of employment, Metal Trades positions are represented by the Metal Trades Council (MTC) and represented employees must pay the monthly membership dues or agency fee.
- Plan and perform operations such as fabrication, installation, overhaul, or repair of cranes, hoists, large blowers, hydraulic or mechanical lifts, dock levelers, rolling steel doors, overhead sectional doors, vertical lift doors, fire doors, door mechanisms, security gates/turnstiles, barrier gates (electrical and manual); installation and alignment of gears, shafts, pulleys, belts, guy cables, motors, pumps and power transmission assemblies; fabricate metal ladders and cabinets.
- Erect, dismantle, align, level, rig, move, anchor, or install all types of machines, test equipment, similar or associated items and structural devices to include all metal, membrane, and built-up roofing systems.
- Use prefabricated materials or raw materials to fabricate parts or assemblies as necessary.
- Perform carpentry, fabricate, install or modify various types of cabinets, tops, trims, moldings, finish flooring, displays, wood towers, ceilings, special concrete forms, trusses or bearing partitions, and masonry mockups.
- Demonstrate knowledge and perform arc, inert-gas arc, gas welding and cutting.
- Support facility rotating equipment precision alignment and balancing through the installation of data collection points for use in obtaining tracking and trending historical operational data on critical/important systems.
- Utilize a computerized database to maintain required records.
- Requirements include completion of a State certified structural/millwright apprenticeship or approved accredited program. Perform work using industry standard safety practices.
- Collaborate with engineers and serve as a consultant on sheetmetal/structural fabrication issues.
- Consult with other Tradespersons and act as a lead person, which includes, but is not limited to assigning work to coworkers and instructing or training others as required.
Required skills, Physical Assessments, & Certifications:
- Once the applicant has submitted their application and resume, there will be several levels of screening as applicable:
- Resume review for direct experience and related work history;
- Skills assessments
- Interview evaluations;
- Pre-employment background reviews (for external applicants);
- Drug testing; and
- Physical job placement assessments. Each screening level must be passed successfully and consecutively in order to be eligible for consideration.
- A job placement assessment (JPA) will be required as part of the screening for this position.
- This JPA will evaluate your ability to meet the physical requirements of this job
- Typical experience includes minimum of 3 - 5 years as a fully qualified Structural/Millwright Tradesperson or Structural related apprenticeship or equivalent and 3-5 years of experience working in a commercial setting as a fully qualified Journeyman with extensive door hardware experience.
- Outline of general scope of work--no attempt made to include all associated details or duties.
The Structural Services Team provides preventative and corrective maintenance on building structural systems and equipment. This includes fabrication, installation, overhaul or repair of cranes, hoists. This team is also responsible for locksmith services, shop and field painting services and supporting Mechanical Utilities team activity.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.