Sandia National Laboratories GT1 Mechanical in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Trades
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Build system operations; repair and maintenance of facilities mechanical equipment.
- Perform operations, predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance on all types of refrigeration, air conditioning, heating, piping systems, boilers, backflow preventers, chemical treatment, testing of water systems and all associated equipment.
- Detect and mark interior and exterior mechanical utilities; layout, fabricate, install, modify, overhaul, repair, maintain, control, operate and regulate, and dismantle mechanical piping systems and fire protection systems.
- This work involves use of state-of-the-art pipe locating, pipe cleaning and pipe inspection equipment.
- Lay-out, install, modify, overhaul, troubleshoot, repair and maintain facilities mechanical equipment.
- Work involves all types of operations, predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance on all types of refrigeration, air conditioning, heating, piping systems, process systems, boilers, backflow preventers, chemical treatment, testing of water systems and all associated equipment; boilers, and interior and exterior piping systems as well as all types of plumbing fixtures, interior and exterior high and low temperature piping systems, all types of piping systems such as water, steam, condensate, sanitary, storm sewer, and natural gas and propane; maintain and repair steam flow meters, gauges, regulators and controls.
- Utilize a computerized database to maintain required records. Consult with other Tradespersons and provide direction to other employees as required.
- Perform work using industry-standard safety practices and in accordance with Uniform Building Codes; demonstrate knowledge of arc, inert-gas arc, and gas welding and cutting.
- Obtain and maintain back-flow preventer certification.
- Provide chemical treatment and testing of water systems; planning and performing operations such as predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance of air conditioning equipment, blower equipment, rotary drive compressor systems, and multistage low and high temperature chambers.
- Test and balance air systems, and align and balance equipment. Fabricate special braces, jigs, fixtures, and equipment as required.
- Consult with engineers or requestors to clarify or establish specifications for building mechanical systems.
- Perform work using industry-standard safety practices; demonstrate knowledge of control systems including pneumatic, electric, and electronic microprocessor.
- Utilize a computerized database to maintain required records, and access, maintain, and operate the computerized Energy Management System.
- May consult with other Tradespersons and provide direction to other employees as required. Obtain EPA Proper Refrigerant Handling certification.
Required skills, Physical Assessments, & Certifications:
- Once the applicant has submitted their application and resume, there will be several levels of screening as applicable:
- Resume review for direct experience and related work history;
- Skills assessments
- Interview evaluations;
- Pre-employment background reviews (for external applicants);
- Drug testing; and
- Physical job placement assessments. Each screening level must be passed successfully and consecutively in order to be eligible for consideration.
- A job placement assessment (JPA) will be required as part of the screening for this position. This JPA will evaluate your ability to meet the physical requirements of this job.
- Sandia has an Agency Shop Agreement with the Metal Trades Council (MTC). The position being offered to you is a represented position. Therefore, as an employee represented by the MTC, you must either become a union member or pay a monthly agency fee equal to the union dues. You will be contacted by a union steward concerning membership during the first week of your employment.
- Job requires individual to work swing shift (2:30 PM to 1:00 AM Monday through Thursday, 10 hour shift.
- This specific position is for HVAC only
- Typical experience includes minimum of 5 - 8 years as a fully qualified Mechanical Tradesman and completion of a State approved mechanical apprenticeship program. Outline of general scope of work--no attempt made to include all associated details or duties
- Experience/Knowledge of Safety Based Programs such as Engineered Safety, Behavior Based Safety, NFPA and or training in OSHA
- Experience with rotary drive compressor systems and multistage low and high temperature chambers
- On-call duty, as determined by management. This duty is shard with other employees
- Participation in Dynamic warm-ups, as determined by management
- 5 years experience working on water cooled chillers
- 5 years experience work on built-up air handlers.
- Experience working building automated control systems
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance.*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.