Sandia National Laboratories GT1 Mechanical-HVAC in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Mechanical Trades
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Operate, maintain, troubleshoot and perform corrective maintenance on facility type mechanical equipment.
- Perform predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance on various types of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, piping and boiler systems.
- Perform chemical water treatment duties, to include testing of closed and open loop water systems and operations of chemical injection systems.
- Utilize Sandia’s building automation control system to perform monitoring, troubleshooting, logging and operator control of HVAC/R systems.
- Safely use standard HVAC/R hand and power tools, gauge sets and equipment.
- Use industry standard piping fittings and assembly techniques: compression, flared, threaded, brazed and soldered fittings.
- Dagnose and correct electrical and controls related issues in HVAC/R systems in single and three-phase equipment and controls.
- As a condition of employment, this position is represented by the Metal Trades Council (MTC). Represented employees must pay the monthly membership dues or agency fee.
- Lay-out, install, modify, overhaul, troubleshoot, repair and maintain facilities mechanical equipment.
- Work involves all types of operations, predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance on all types of refrigeration, air conditioning, heating, piping systems, process systems, boilers, backflow preventers, chemical treatment, testing of water systems and all associated equipment; boilers, and interior and exterior piping systems as well as all types of plumbing fixtures, interior and exterior high and low temperature piping systems, all types of piping systems such as water, steam, condensate, sanitary, storm sewer, and natural gas and propane; maintain and repair steam flow meters, gauges, regulators and controls.
- Utilize a computerized database to maintain required records. Consult with other Tradespersons and provide direction to other employees as required.
- Perform work using industry-standard safety practices and in accordance with Uniform Building Codes; demonstrate knowledge of arc, inert-gas arc, and gas welding and cutting.
- Obtain and maintain back-flow preventer certification.
- Provide chemical treatment and testing of water systems; planning and performing operations such as predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance of air conditioning equipment, blower equipment, rotary drive compressor systems, and multistage low and high temperature chambers.
- Test and balance air systems, and align and balance equipment. Fabricate special braces, jigs, fixtures, and equipment as required.
- Consult with engineers or requestors to clarify or establish specifications for building mechanical systems.
- Perform work using industry-standard safety practices; demonstrate knowledge of control systems including pneumatic, electric, and electronic microprocessor.
- Utilize a computerized database to maintain required records, and access, maintain, and operate the computerized Energy Management System.
- May consult with other Tradespersons and provide direction to other employees as required. Obtain EPA Proper Refrigerant Handling certification.
Required skills, Physical Assessments, & Certifications:
- Once the applicant has submitted their application and resume, there will be several levels of screening as applicable:
- Resume review for direct experience and related work history;
- Skills assessments
- Interview evaluations;
- Pre-employment background reviews (for external applicants);
- Drug testing; and
- Physical job placement assessments. Each screening level must be passed successfully and consecutively in order to be eligible for consideration.
- A job placement assessment (JPA) will be required as part of the screening for this position. This JPA will evaluate your ability to meet the physical requirements of this job.
- Sandia has an Agency Shop Agreement with the Metal Trades Council (MTC). The position being offered to you is a represented position. Therefore, as an employee represented by the MTC, you must either become a union member or pay a monthly agency fee equal to the union dues. You will be contacted by a union steward concerning membership during the first week of your employment.
- Job requires individual to work swing shift (2:30 PM to 1:00 AM Monday through Thursday, 10 hour shift).
- This specific position is for HVAC only (5 years experience in the HVAC Industry)
- Universal refrigerant license.
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting and working on water cooled chiller systems in excess of 200 tons.
- Typical experience includes minimum of 5 - 8 years as a fully qualified Mechanical Tradesman and completion of a State approved mechanical apprenticeship program.
- Experience/Knowledge of Safety Based Programs such as Engineered Safety, Behavior Based Safety, NFPA and or training in OSHA.
- Experience with rotary drive compressor systems and multistage low and high temperature chambers.
- On-call duty, as determined by management. This duty is shard with other employees.
- Participation in Dynamic warm-ups, as determined by management.
- 5 years experience with built-up air handling systems to include makeup, supply exhaust and return air systems.
- Experience with heating water boiler systems that exceed 1,000,000 BTU/hr.
- Experience with advanced Building Automated Control Systems.
- Active Department of Energy L or Q clearance.
- Outline of general scope of work--no attempt made to include all associated details or duties.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.