Sandia National Laboratories Environmental Professional (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an Environmental Technical Professional to join our team. The successful candidate would implement and administer one or more of the following environmental programs: wastewater, stormwater, hazardous/non-hazardous and radiological waste management, environmental chemistry, and environmental releases regulations. You may also support one or more of the following environmental programs: air quality compliance, environmental remediation, hazardous and radiological waste management, pollution prevention and waste minimization, and environmental compliance reporting. You will team with researchers, program and operations staff, and management to achieve program efficiency and success while meeting regulatory requirements.
- Develop and implement environmental procedures.
- Reviews and analyzes regulations, processes, operations, and activities to ensure compliance with new or revised environmental regulations.
- Investigates, reviews, studies, designs and develops innovative solutions to environment compliance and monitoring equipment.
- Prepare and submit a variety of regulatory permits, reports, and submissions to local, state, and federal environmental regulators.
- Manage and interface with regulators for audits, permitting, notices of violation, corrective action planning, and root cause analyses.
- Lead and direct the daily work of technologists, consultants, and contractors supporting environmental compliance and monitoring programs.
- Participate on the site spill response team.
- Develop and apply innovative characterization, monitoring, and treatment techniques for environmental waste minimization and remediation activities.
- Direct and perform field activities to include environmental sampling, analyses, calibrations, monitoring equipment troubleshooting and equipment maintenance.
- Prepares cost estimates and develops options to change the environmental program as needed for compliance or increased efficiency.
- Manage and interpret environmental analytical data.
- Works closely with program leads and provides recommended actions to ensure environmental compliance and monitoring program execution.
- Requires bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline plus five or more years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two or more years of experience and applied technical knowledge in environmental monitoring and compliance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance.
- Experience in data management and analyses.
- Experience with characterization, waste minimization and remediation activities.
- Knowledge of environmental principles, processes and applications.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local environmental regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of Sandia’s environmental policies, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to evaluate options and to recommend solutions to environmental problems.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate environmental protection.
- Ability to prepare and present environmental tests and technical reports.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and dedication to teamwork.
- Self-directed and organized.
- Ability to successfully function in a team environment.
- Ability to travel in support of the environmental monitoring and compliance department.
- Ability to obtain and maintain professional certifications commensurate with responsibilities and assignments.
- Experience and applied technical knowledge in environmental compliance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills.
Environmental Compliance and Monitoring. The Environmental Compliance and Monitoring Department collects environmental data to ensure regulatory compliance, monitors Sandia's potential environmental impact, and assists organizations in maintaining compliance and minimizing potential impacts of their work activities.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.