Sandia National Laboratories Engineering Support Technologist - PV Database Analyst (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a passionate and high performing analyst to develop and manage data systems specific to photovoltaic (PV) solar energy RD&D applications. You could join our dynamic team to use your experience to develop cutting edge solutions by using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to explore creative and unique solutions.
Are you ready for your next challenge? Join this diverse, multi-disciplinary team of exceptional individuals and achieve success while making a difference.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop and manage data acquisition systems, develop and manage common database structures and conventions, assure data quality, and develop and manage data processing and reporting including PV-specific calculations, PV performance model fitting, and visualization tools;
- Work with PV electrical and mechanical engineers that build systems, develop performance models, and publish results at conferences, in scientific journals, and in government and industry reports;
- Work on Sandia’s PV program which includes over 50 separate R&D systems located onsite in New Mexico and at four other national facilities. Each system includes roughly 50 data channels measured at one second to one-minute intervals. The distributed data acquisition systems must be time stamp synchronized with each other and other auxiliary measurement systems.
- Associate's degree in Math, Computer, Electrical Engineering or relevant discipline;
- Experience managing large and diverse datasets;
- Working knowledge and management of SQL, MySQL and other relational databases;
- Experience using Python, MATLAB;
- Experience developing visualization tools that includes graphs and tables;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Math, Computer, Electrical Engineering or relevant discipline;
- Desire to learn PV systems;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Communication Protocols (Modbus, Packbus, TCP/IP);
- Experience working with Linux based operating systems including Raspberry Pi;
- Prior knowledge of PV system.
The Photovoltaics & Materials Technology Department, part of Sandia's Renewable Energy Technologies Group, conducts research and development and applies real world solutions to increase the viability of sustainable and clean energy systems. Research focuses on solar energy photovoltaics (PV), materials chemistry, and device integration for energy generation, energy efficiency, and carbon management. We apply PV and materials research to the following areas: PV cell technologies including Si, CdTe thin films, and emerging technologies (i.e., perovskites), advanced PV module designs and packaging materials (i.e., bifacial, split cells), and PV module performance characterization and modelling. In addition, PV grid integration is studied through R&D of new battery chemistries and materials. We work in partnership throughout Sandia and with industry, academia, and other national labs in research for the Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Office: Solar Energy Technology Office, Office of Electricity, the Department of Defense; and Sandia's Laboratory Directed Research and Development program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.