Sandia National Laboratories Engineering Support Technologist (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an experienced candidate for an Engineering Support Technologist position. The position is to provide laboratory and field support for laser-switched pulsed power, ultra-short pulse laser source, and high-power microwave source and applications development and testing. The successful candidate will work with state-of-the-art ultra-short pulse lasers, high-voltage pulsed power systems, and optical and RF test and measurement diagnostics in support of a variety of nationally important programs. You will work in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team environment requiring the ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel and with largely self-directed priorities and tasking based on program schedules. Work environments include high-energy lasers, high voltage systems, high current systems, pressure systems, chemicals, mechanical/kinetic high-energy sources, and field test environmental conditions, including but not limited to desert fauna, flora, and terrain with varying climatic conditions. The successful candidate will be expected to work within and support the Sandia Engineered Safety and ES&H processes, including assisting with required analyses and documentation.
You will support scientific and engineering activities such as design, test, check-out, modification, fabrication, and assembly of prototype electromechanical systems, experimental electronic circuitry, and/or specialized test equipment. You will also prepare engineering analyses, reports, drawings, and documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM discipline; or Associates degree in a STEM discipline plus two years of directly related experience; or four years of directly related experience.
- Experience with the use and care of pulsed laser systems such as ultrashort pulse lasers and Q-switched solid-state lasers.
- Experience determining laboratory equipment requirements, setting up equipment, performing tests/experiments, collecting data, and generating test analyses and documentation for laboratory experiments.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a required US DOE Q security clearance.
- Experience with photoconductive semiconductor switches (PCSSs), particularly for pulsed-power applications.
- Experience producing complex optical setups, basic understanding of optical theory, and use of related diagnostics and data acquisition instrumentation.
- Experience with the use and care of RF test equipment and test procedures.
- Experience with Solidworks, Solidworks Sim, Autocad, LabView, Matlab, or Mathcad.
- Experience with mechanical assembly and maintenance of high-voltage, pulsed power systems.
- Experience building electrical circuits from schematics and performing circuit layout, prototyping and wiring.
- Familiarity with pressure system schematics, components, and component specification.
- Experience with assembly and installation of pressure systems.
- Experience in the use of hand and machine tools to modify or fabricate custom hardware.
- Experience with forklift and crane operation and safe rigging practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work alone and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated skills at writing and presenting design and test information using Microsoft Office tools (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, and Excel).
- Current and active DOE Q-level security clearance.
The Directed Energy Applications Department (05444) is part of the Directed Energy Enterprise that also includes the Directed Energy Missions Department (05443) and the Directed Energy Assessments Department (05445). Areas of interest for this enterprise include high-power electromagnetic systems, compact pulsed power systems, radio frequency sources and antennas, electronic effects phenomena, photoconductive semiconductor switches, compact tunable laser sources, laser-induced plasmas, and laser imaging and diagnostics. The Directed Energy Applications Department (05444) executes research and development for applications of directed energy technologies and associated sources, sensors, and components. Work environments range from laboratory work in state-of-the-art facilities to field work at local and remote test sites. Work products range from studies and analyses to delivery of beyond-state-of-the-art hardware to support our customer base and move Directed Energy technologies to the warfighter.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT