Sandia National Laboratories Engineering Program/Project Lead - Physical Security (Early/Mid Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Passionate about security work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Join a dynamic team and solve significant issues and challenges for our nation's security!
We are seeking an Engineering Program/Project Lead to join the Nuclear Security Engineering & Operations Department (6512) to support urgent needs within the DoD/DOE complex and to lead multiple projects to breathe new life into critical infrastructure and security equipment.
On any given day, the selected applicant will be asked to:
- Have the technical project management knowledge and ability to lead complex security project(s) for DoD, DOE, and other Interagency organizations. These complex projects require coordination with both internal technical specialists and external partners, coordinating and leading technical and multi-functional teams, while efficiently managing relevant work, including budgets and schedules.
- Exercise overall authority and accountability for the full life cycle of executing these technical projects, assuming all project management responsibilities, starting with development of project cost estimates and plans, and bringing technical and non-technical risks to resolution.
- Provide technical or engineering support to one or more aspects of the program or project, as well as the leadership and tactical planning for execution of projects and while applying engineering or other technical knowledge to accomplish project objectives and work.
- Use engineering or technical judgment, within defined scientific and engineering practices, in working with customers and program managers to ensure that resources are available to accomplish the work, identify procurement and contracting needs, and marshal resources to complete project work within the scope, schedules, and budgets defined in project work packages.
- Assume accountability as the primary interface to customers and sponsors, especially for project status reporting purposes.
- Work with business project personnel, as well as technical partners, within the extended project team, including customers, sponsors, and suppliers, ensuring the project is fully and accurately integrated.
- Collaborate with the Project Management Office to develop, define, and execute project plans, schedules, budgets, and work.
In addition to responsibility for identifying and ensuring resolution of both technical as well as non-technical risks, the selected candidate will work to identify ongoing opportunities, and other issues that impact the project, and the work. Responsibilities also include following the plan, do, check, act process and actively partnering with the extended team to implement changes to improve engineering/project management processes. Travel up to 25-30% will also be required.
- Undergraduate and graduate degree in a relevant STEM field; a relevant bachelor’s degree plus 4 years’ technical experience may also be considered
- One year experience as a team contributor on science, engineering, or construction projects
- Active L clearance, or equivalent, with ability acquire a DOE Q clearance within 18 months of date of hire
- Active Q clearance
- Experience in managing physical security design-build projects
- Experience leading highly technical and diverse teams
- Current PMP certification
- Practical understanding of EVMS concepts and reporting
- Has completed proposals and cost estimates for projects over $500kDemonstrated experience briefing DOE and/or DoD customers
- Effectively ran technical requirements through implementation and acceptance
- Familiarity with either MS Project and P6 project management software
We conduct vulnerability & design analysis and executes the security design, engineering, and implementation functions of complex physical security systems (PSS) within DoD and other government agencies. Specific tasks include planning/executing SEAs and other limited scope engineering assessments, development of conceptual and detailed PSS designs, participation in procurement activities, planning and executing pre- and post-installation testing, leading all aspects of sub-contactors supporting installations, and developing post-installation logistics plans. We provide project management and domain specialists in the area of analysis, response force planning and employment, detection, assessment, communications, entry control and AC&D. The department has one technical team assigned, The Physical Security Analysis & Response Department. This department is currently working with the US Navy, US Air Force, US Army, and Missile Defense Agency to enhance the effectiveness of critical asset protection at CONUS/OCONUS installations through many multi-million dollar initiatives. Many new projects are expanding beyond the traditional DOE complex or DoD Weapon Storage Area (WSA); these new protected assets include ultra-high security facilities and high demand/low density assets, DoD Force Protection/Anti-Terrorism, and intermediate level (PL2 - PL3) asset protection.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.